Rugged paddling sandals

HA!
You’re right. For example, I’m aware that ALL sandals let in debris that you have to fish out. I’m specifically looking for a sandal with good protection, i.e., of the toes, hence the comparison with the Teva Omnium.

I own neoprene booties, mukluks, sandals, crocs, and cheap Walmart swim shoes. They each have their uses. Say for example you had to tow your kayak some distance while walking in the water along a very rocky lake shore. For that you need a rugged sole with good toe protection. Booties, mukluks, and swim shoes have a soft sole. Crocs don’t stay on your feet and are unstable. Enclosed shoes are hot. That leaves hiking-type sandals that are meant for rocks and have a good grip.

You should be fine…
…with Keen water sandals that offer toe protection. I’ve used them for years. I have also had good luck with Salomon water shoes:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=salomon+water+shoes&tag=googhydr-20&index=shoes&hvadid=48512331805&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10516982451036411246&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_10p02ax1yz_b

Worn a pair of these on a 12 day rafting trip in the Yukon/SE Alaska area. While others were switching out of rubber boots to climbing boots, I just worn the Salomons everywhere. I even climbed a small mountain while wearing them. I’d rate their traction as a little better than the Keens that I have worn.

Keen Newport H2

Keen Newport H2

Dries quickly

Good sole

Cooler on your feet than crocs

Don’t wear out fast (not sure about salt water wear)

I have 300 trail miles and 20 boating trips with mine so far

Ditto the Chaco Z-1
Very durable and comfortable sandal, a little pricey but last forever.

Keen Venice H2
I have 3 pair of these. I often paddle many days in a row, and I hate putting on damp shoes. Also, if they never get dry they stink and wear out sooner—at least, that’s how I justified getting 3 pair.

If I wash them when I get home in the evening, they are still damp in the morning.

I like the toe protection they afford, the good traction of the sole, and the secure fit so they don’t pull off if you step in ankle deep mud.

Agreed,
hence my recommendation of Hydro Guide SANDALS. Waterbird, I hate to be a broken record but I pinky swear they’re exacty what you’re looking for. Okay, I’ll stop now. LOL.

Discontinued
I thought the Hydro Guide looked interesting as well, but they appear to have been discontinued and are only available in very small or very large men’s sizes.

you sure read a lot into these responses

Aw man. Why would they do that?
Well, in that case I’m with slushpaddler. Snowshoes!

Keens
I have a pair that I have used on countless trips including 5 mi carrys. When going lite I put socks on under them when arriving in camp and rotate/dry socks till they are dry. My two complaints about them are that traction on slippery rocks isn’t good and they are heavy. But I haven’t found anything better though. About smell-I fasten them to the roof rack on the way home to avoid smelling up the car-glad it’s not just me!

Turtle

On my 2nd pair of Keen H2s.
Also have Chacos but the Keens keep a lot of trash from underfoot.

Teva’s

– Last Updated: Jun-01-14 10:00 PM EST –

Have two pair, one set for paddling only and the set for walking. Have walked around NYC in them and hiked up a mountain on Oahu.

I have Teva TERRA FI LITE. Stones under toes are easily ejected by dragging sole on ground, heel forward.

sandals
Sandals have problems in tough conditions like portaging a raft. I bought some aqua shoes made by Asolo for hiking side canyons in the Grand Canyon and use them for everything near the water. They are a big step up from sandals, canvas basketball shoes, wet suit booties and all of the other old solutions.

Asolo aqua shoes
Can’t find them at the Asolo website. Do you have a link?

Rugged paddling sandals
While it’s hard to argue with the toughness of the Omnium, I would stay within Teva or Chaco brands for a paddling sandal. That said, you may want to expand your search to water shoes. There has been some cool developments in this category, such as the Sperry Top-Sider or one of the NRS wetshoes.