Rules for cold water safety

Washington Kayak Club WInter Safety
Washington Kayak Club is a meetup group near Washington, D.C. This is our guidelines for trip leaders on winter paddles:

Washington Kayak Club Cold-Water Rules

Organizers should adhere to the following:

• Limit group sizes (10 seems like a reasonable limit).

• Include the following “Before you RSVP” list in each Meetup invitation.

• Conduct the “Pre-Launch Check” before you get in the water.

• Use the Buddy system in addition to designated Sweepers and Rescuers.

• Have a clear plan…destination, distance, weather conditions.

• Choose calm waters and try to stay close to shore. Think about how long it would take to reach dry land.

• If the group splits up, try to keep at least 3 people (2 at an absolute minimum) in each group.

----------------------------------------------------------

Participants: Before you RSVP:

WARNING:

If you have never kayaked or have only limited experience, or if you do not own cold weather gear, for your own safety you should not attend this Meetup. If you are a beginner and anxious to get out and paddle, stay tuned, there will be beginner-friendly paddles when the water is warmer!

In addition to Paddle Float, Bilge Pump, Whistle, and PFD, the following is required:

• Dry suit with insulating layers worn underneath it. NO COTTON, not even blends; only synthetic fibers like fleece, polyester, etc. that insulate even when wet.

• Or, if you wear a wet suit: NO shorties. A cold-weather wetsuit suitable for 30°-40°F water. Farmer Johns/Janes ONLY if paired with a wetsuit jacket, or with a dry top with thick thermal layers.

• Cold-weather neoprene gloves/mittens. Also consider “Pogies” that go on your paddle and cover your hands.

• Cold-weather neoprene/fleece hat, beanie, balaclava, etc. to keep your head warm if you are immersed. Again, NO COTTON. Baseball caps and cowboy hats are useless in the water.

• Neoprene booties and thermal socks.

• Bring a dry bag with an extra set of thermals, gloves, socks, and hat.

• Always bring a snack. If you end up in the water you may need to generate more body heat. And, you may need the calories for the return trip.

• Water. It’s not just for hot weather. You still need hydration.

• Consider bringing a thermos of hot beverage. Bring extra water if you bring coffee or black tea, because they will dehydrate you.

• Consider your skill and experience. If in doubt, ask first. The Organizer will tell you whether it’s a good paddle for you.

• Consider the weather, especially in relation to your skill and experience. Even if it looks nice, ALWAYS bring all of your cold-weather gear!

• Listen to the NOAA and/or Coast Guard advisories.

• Kayak skirt. Mandatory.

• Paddle float—blocks are quicker than inflatables.

• Group gear (recommend each individual carry these, but if not, someone in the group should):

• Radio (VHF with channel 16 minimum, for Coast Guard): at least one radio per group? For larger groups the more the better, especially if the group breaks into separate “pods”.

• Tow line (one per person? One per pair?)

• Strobe light

• Smoke flare

• First-aid kit

-------------------------------------------------

Pre-Launch Check To Be Conducted by Organizer

• Does everyone have the gear mentioned above?

• Is it in good working order?

• Battery-check your radio.

• Do you have spare batteries for radio?

• Who else has a (radio, tow line, etc.)

• SAFETY CHECK: is everyone in the habit of ensuring the pull tab is outside the skirt?

• Ask each paddler:

• Can you roll (and not just in a pool with assistance)?

• Can you do self-rescues?

• Can you assist others with a rescue?

• How do you feel about today’s weather and water conditions?

• Are you willing to obey the leader in order to ensure group safety?

• SWEEPS AND BUDDIES

• Make sure each paddler has a buddy

• Slow group sweep: [assign name]

• Fast group sweep: [assign name]

thank you so much
I was going to post that in haste and a bit less patience.

People here jump all over this without reading it. go to the link, read the damn thing, and THEN if you have differences then by all means air them.

yeah. so?

– Last Updated: Feb-13-13 1:01 PM EST –

Did the article represent PFDs as life preservers, or do you paddle in one?

How many sea kayakers of your skill level or better paddle with a "life preserver"?

If you find yourself in the water unconscious in cold temps, chances are that the conditions that put you there in the first place aren't going to harmonize well with your notion of keeping one's head "above" water.

nice info, thanks
Some interesting reading while i’m living vicariously thru the rest of you out paddling.

Group dynamics
Personal responsibility - instead of - completely

relying on others for everything in case of crisis.

A Bit Confusing

– Last Updated: Feb-16-13 9:21 PM EST –

Hi mates-

We have a "What PFD's Can and Can't Do" page on our web site
http://www.coldwatersafety.org/PFDsCanAndCant.html

Some other info:
In Essentials of Sea Survival, Golden & Tipton note that "To qualify for "life-jacket" classification in the UK, adult life-jackets must have in excess of 34lbs of buoyancy." Lesser devices are termed "Buoyancy Aids". On our side of the pond, the Coast Guard doesn't list a single device with buoyancy in excess of 34lbs. The closest ones are Type 1 Inflatable (33lbs), Type II Inflatable (33lbs, and a Type V - Special Use Device - Inflatable (22lbs to 34lbs).

The Coast Guard's information on "RECREATIONAL BOATING PFD SELECTION" is here: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/pfdselection.asp,
and the terminology, while it sheds no light on our life jacket vs PFD discussion, is pretty interesting. In the interest of space, I'll stick to Types I, II & III. Incidentally, no mention is made of supporting the wearer in a face-up position.

TYPE I PFDS / OFF-SHORE LIFE JACKETS: Best for all waters, open ocean, rough seas, or remote water, where rescue may be slow coming. Abandon-ship lifejacket for commercial vessels and all vessels carrying passengers for hire:

TYPE II PFDS / NEAR-SHORE BUOYANT VESTS: For general boating activities. Good for calm, inland waters, or where there is a good chance for fast rescue.

TYPE III PFDS / FLOTATION AIDS: For general boating or the specialized activity that is marked on the device such as water skiing, hunting, fishing, canoeing, kayaking and others. Good for calm, inland waters, or where there is a good chance for fast rescue. Designed so that wearing it will complement your boating activities.

So we have Lifejackets, Life Jackets, Off-Shore Life Jackets, Near-Shore Buoyant Vests, and Floatation Aids, which leaves plenty of room for confusion. The Coast Guard seems to be aware of this, because they have the following disclaimer at the bottom of their page:

"The Coast Guard is working with the PFD community to revise the classification and labeling of PFDs. When completed, this information will be updated and hopefully be somewhat easier to understand."

One thing I find particularly interesting is the recommended use for Type IIIs: "Good for calm, inland waters, or where there is a good chance for fast rescue."

There is currently a push to drop "PFD" in favor of "Life Jacket". I've been using PFD since the 1970's and don't know if my brain can handle that transition.

Hope this is helpful, mates.

Tested my gear a couple of weekends ago
https://picasaweb.google.com/TommyC1Taylor/Pawcatuck2213#5840726895077985058

or

http://alturl.com/unjpa

I’m in there somewhere… Water temp’s around here are in the mid 30’s this time of year, but I never felt cold. The problem I did have was that my foot got caught under the seat of the canoe. It took me a couple of seconds to work my foot free. Not a big deal since I was in the quiet water below the drop, but it’s a reminder that cold water is just one of many things that can go wrong while paddling.