Ruminations on Mississippi trip

sounds good
Seems like you are doing well and enjoying. Don’t forget to enjoy. I live near Canton, Mo (16 miles)(dam or is it damn #20 or 21 can’t remember right now) so when you are closer if you let me know about when you will be passing and I’m around I’ll go over and wave at ya from the bank. Maybe I’ll just go over and throw out a night crawler and see what I can catch. Usually get some drum or cats. LaGrange is 6 miles down river from Canton and if you land there you only need to walk a block to get to a Casey’s type place (think cold drink and restroom). At Canton the walk is a bit more, but there is a campground (that costs money at Canton and is used by RVs)along the river. Canton does have a Pizza Hut uphill from the river about a mile and a grocery store about 2 miles from the river if you need it and other local eateries in town about 1/2 mile from the dam (a pizza place - I’m a pizza alholic- and real food places). This is country and you can probably get someone loitering by the river to give you a ride. Some good camping spots N and S of the Canton dam(n) on river points if you want to avoid people. Both of these towns are pretty small (1500). South just above the Quincy dam is Quincy which is a big town for the area (all of 40,000), but most of the strip (not nudity) stores are quite a bit from the river.

After Quincy comes Hannibal a bit less then half way between Quincy and Saverton dams. The tourist stuff is right off the river a short block and there are some eateries there. After Saverton is Louisiana (no, not that one at the end of your trip, and the town of about 1000 is right on the river with the strip (not the pole type of dancing strip) shopping off river about a mile.

Those power boaters seem to think they need to buzz non motorized craft. Been buzzed. Jet skis, aka water lice, are the worst. I just about threw my paddle at one guy once, but didn’t. Luckily I realized I new him and he me. I taught his kid. That would have been awkward at a parent teacher conference.

Sorry I got long winded and probably told you what your research already found out. Enjoy your trip and remember each moment is a new beginning/experience. Keep throwin’ out notes. I’m enjoying.

photos?
I can’t wait to see photos and read your trip report.

-James

http://www.adventurecanoe.com

Just a check in…

– Last Updated: Jul-08-09 8:59 PM EST –

...from waltermitty's daughter. Dad's doing fine, he just got to Hannibal, Missouri. A little behind schedule, but nothing he can't make up. He just passed through lock #20. The first camera chip will come in with his next package, I'll try to post some of the pictures. Thanks for your support!

I made it . . .
. . . from Lake Itasca to Venice, LA in 69 days. I will post a trip report when I recover a little.

Congradulations!
Well done. A 69 day paddle trip is amazing to me.

We’re looking forward to post and pics.

T

Great
Way to go.

My congrats too
Drop me a note when you are recovered and interested on paddling some of the local waters.

Looking forward to a full trip report.

Mark