Sad Canoe Repairs

Judging based solely on the photos provided by the OP, industrial terminology - Beyond Economical Repair - (frequently referred to, simply, as “B.E.R.”) seems applicable.

Or, in insurance parlance, “totaled”?

Your “new” Flashback looks really nice! Good Job.
I have to say “thank you” once again. Because of the virus I haven’t been doing any paddling this year that involves a shuttle so I’m stuck doing a local creek where I can walk back to my car after a run - if that isn’t too glamorous a term for paddling that stretch over and over again. The Flashback is just the boat for it, though. It slips through and can be maneuvered into the narrowest of slots. There is no eddy too small to hit. No swims with it yet this year, though I’ve taken more swims out of that Flashback than any other boat ever. Mostly, I think, because I take it into places I wouldn’t try in any of my other boats. But it really doesn’t like big haystacks at all. If you go over even a small ledge with it, keep moving. Loitering under even a small pour over, will fill it in a second.

As to the OP’s original issue: Yeah, FWIW I’d agree with those who suggest a planter… not solid enough to cut the side out of for padding to turn it into a double swing. I can’t see it cut in half and used as a book case. I’m running out of any other good ideas… How about if it were to be cut in half in the middle and planted upright to form an arch? For a small price (and you come pick it up), I have a cement Buddha that could be placed beneath the arch. That would make a novel lawn ornament, no?

I had a flashback in fiberglass, original Millbrook. Boat did take a bit of getting used to, but I ended up using it as a playboat as it surfed incredibly and was incredibly responsive. Hull was so thin it used to spring leaks at my knee area, which also happened to be the spot the hull left the water when surfing.Funniest story was running a flooded cl. 2+ stretch, making it a cl. 3.(decent run at 900cfs was running 5k)I went to block a wave, and where my Encore would have knocked the wave down, the Flashback simply rode up it. I still remember vividly my elbow getting wet and seeing hull against a blue sky. Was ready to swim, but realized a recovery wouldn’t be possible for miles, so did the old “cramp the hamstring” move to keep her upright. Got the boat for free, had my fun, gave her away to a guy who got her rehabbed at Millbrook.

1 Like