SAFE KAYAK STORAGE AT HOTELS

Put my
16’ Sirocco in the hotel with me. Never heard anything from the maids, but I bet there were some comments! I also use an auto “club” in the cockpit and then run the cable through it. Even if they cut the cable, they’ll have to cut the “club” also. Actually, this is what you need to solve your problems:

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=52620660&photoID=348824070&security=BwEeIx

The solution I found…
I had this same problem on a recent driving trip from Florida to Ohio, with several stops en route. I found an ideal solution (IMHO)–Bed and Breakfast inns! These places are almost always off the beaten path (or you can find one that is). I stayed at one in the middle of town, but had discussed kayak storage ahead of time with the owner. My kayak ended up locked in her garage overnight–no worries there. The other two places were out in the country, with my car parked out of sight of any road–I left it on top; I use LashLock, another brand of kayak lock, just in case, though. B&B places get you a nice room (instead of a tent) and private bath, not to mention breakfast, and I have found the owners to, without fail, happily oblige with any security issues. They are everywhere, it seems, and I found them to be a great alternative to motels.

Lock it up the best you can
with the best available lock and cable. You say your staying in a nice hotel, okay, nice hotels have some security, some lighting, some video cameras.

This may sound quite silly but I have kinda of an off the wall imagination at times… I haven’t done this but have often wonder about the results…how about a simple motion detector in the form of a big noisy cow bell hanging inside the cockpit or hold, if you hung one from the bow handle and out of reach from a lot of people. Maybe it will create just enough noise or threat of noise to scare them off, draw attention or threat of. Winds coule be an issue but good weather judgement might help.

Hummm…big noisy cow bell suspended from springy bungy cord with cockpit, a little movement may create alot of noise.

Brian

SoFlo

This May Sound Dumb, But…
Try calling the concierge of the hotel. Some hotels pride themselves on excellent customer service and will do all they can to make their guests happy (aka return business). Worth a phone call anyway.

Lou

Kyrptonite cable from Home Depot
and a good padlock.

Hotels & Kayaks
Every winter I leave NJ and head for the FL Keys with 2 kayaks on top and 2 bikes on the bike rack on back.

Normally take 4 days to get to Key Largo, staying in motels off of I-95. All I do is use a Yakima locking cable and put it through the scupper holes and around the racks. For the bikes, just cable locks to the bike rack, and cable locks the bike rack to the trailer hitch.

I try to park by a window under or in front of our room, or as close to the main entrance as possible.

I have not had any problems to date, and have made the trip at least 6 times.

But as is often said, a lock is only an inconvenience to someone who really wants what you have.

This is a funny thread
Whenever I travel, I always see the hotel pools and think:

1. I wish I brought my kayak: I could do a bit of rolling practice.
  2. How the heck am I going to get an 18ft kayak through these halls, down the steps, round that corner, to the indoor pool?

But seriously, I’d do the cable lock thing - but try and ‘disguise’ the cable lock: I’m not sure that a kayak is a ‘highly prized’ theft item, but I would guess that a thief seeing something locked up means it’s obviously worth something.