Safety in cold water and wind with light weight kayaks

This past weekend paddling in the wind, I simply put on a quick release belt, and clipped my contact tow line to it, tucking the few feet of slack under the deck bungies. When paddling with others through any kind of windy open water, I typically have a towbelt on, so I can simply clip the contact tow onto the quick release tow belt. No extra equipment - just a matter of doing it.

3 Likes

I read the book by one of the Bozeman Brothers (Mariner Kayaks) about deadly kayak accidents in the San Juan area (?‘Dangerous Waters’). I paddled there once, and that place is no joke. Any extra precautions taken there are surely warranted. I did want to kick up a little dirt to the paddlers who are waiting for warm weather to go paddling. When it gets cool out (SE Mi) and all of the other boats are put away my Brother and I paddle large, wider rec boats, which are unlikely to capsize. No dry/wet suits, just warm gear and fat kayaks. It’s hard to burn more calories than cold weather exercise. You’ll be able to eat whatever you want.

I use a leash that secures my paddle to a front deck line. My thought is that as long as I can hold on to one or the other, I have both. Clip to the boat and Velcro around the paddle. The leash is a coiled rubber cord, about 2’’ long contracted and 4’ long when extended. Easily cut with a knife. SCUBA shops often carry them. I use a similar setup with my knife.

There’s a lot of debate over leashes, just like rudder vs skeg. I rarely do surf and no whitewater, so for me entanglement is not much of an issue. In sea kayaking and instructing I’ve never personally seen an entanglement issue. However, I have seen many boats blow away.

A similar issue with people who have a VHF radio and strap it to their boat, or even worse, put it in a hatch. I want mine clipped and strapped to my PFD.

2 Likes