Salt water camera

I’m also searching for a kayaking camera. After much research I ordered the OM TG-7. And wow, just wow! It was by far the worst camera (image quality) I’ve used. Never I have returned something so quick. I should have really listened to the nay sayers. Full disclaimer, I’m a freelance photographer so maybe my expectations were too high, but I don’t think so.

In any event I switched gears and decided to upgrade my phone to the iPhone 15 pro. I’ve never been much of a phone photographer since I never liked the ergonomics of taking pics that way. But I gotta hand it to Apple, they snuck in some nice photographer upgrades in this model (I upgraded from a 12 Mini).

My favorite is the “new” Action button. I set that to bring up the camera. So a long press of the action button launches the camera, next press fires the shutter. Easy to do with cold, wet hands. The new “standard” lens is 24mm equivalent (my fav) and shoots 48mm RAW images. Although the wide lens, 13mm, is wider than I like, I’m enjoying the 77mm tele lens.

I’m on the hunt for solutions that adds to its water resistance and the dive world seems to have a number of options. Hopefully one of them suits my needs.

2 Likes

iPhones may be rated for immersion, IP 67 or 68, but the warranty specifically excludes water damage. The newer ones even have an indicator to show if they have been exposed to water.

Apple is being sued in NY over their claim of being waterproof yet excluding water damage in their warranty coverage.

Apple will not repair water damaged phones, but only offer an out of warranty replacement for hundreds of dollars depending on the model, unless you have Apple+. Then it’s about $100.

Samsung phones with an IP rating also exclude water damage in their warranty.

I am good with a waterproof point and shoot camera for use on the water rather than risk bricking my phone to take pictures. I have a good DSLR for use on land.

2 Likes

Might be worth it to buy a used or old model phone and use it only for wifi and pictures, not cell service.

mmyeah, except the cameras are so good on the newer/newest ones. :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

(Of course, in five years, when an iPhone 12 Max is the affordable salt-water option, the cameras on the new ones will offer who knows what)

1 Like

I can’t wait to try the new 15 Pro Max at Eibsee this week. I’m still trying to get that Zugspitze with snow shot. I’ve been using iPhones on the water for almost eight years and so far so good. My underwater setup flooded after about twenty years off the back wall of Molokai but it was insured.
The best camera is the camera you have with you :wink:

Oh, my husband lost a drone ice climbing last year also but insurance is about 50 / year.

1 Like

Taking my first night shots walking to dinner, pretty amazing camera.

1 Like

And for some Schadenfreude:

The salt water and the electronics created an instant rust

1 Like

I’m still getting use to the iPhone 15 pro, and doing photography with an iPhone, but so far so good.

And keeping the horizon level in a kayak is, um, interesting. :thinking:

1 Like

Those are pretty fabulous images. I think I need to try more night shots.

1 Like

Man, I’m really jonesin’ on that early 70’s Ford! 1970/71/or 72 F100? Looks like it’s got a US-style state tag, verses a European. Did you guys bring that with you abroad?

And, if that’s your husband across the strasse, holding the leash, then WHAM! That dog is growing mighty fast! Is Austrian Alpo a Best and the Wurst Schnitzel Blend? You’re gonna need a bigger boat.

Oh! And the i15 does, along with its operator, take mighty fine photos.

1 Like

So do I, but the weather has been nasty.

NYE:

From inside at my neighbor’s house, during fireworks. I missed the firework but I notice got the stars.

We wish that was our truck. Yes he all grown up.

1 Like

Finally picked up a used Olympus Tough TG-4. Beat up but cheap. First outing and I’m pretty happy. The LCD isn’t very bright compared to my TG-2 that I got recently which is not bright either. I’m using a Hoodman which makes it more like a eyepiece camera. This brown pelican is just taking off. What a day for birds!

3 Likes