Salty ??????

Spike is busy with JOI
this is the time of year R&D is busy finalizing plugs etc, to go to the foundry for mold making. He’s busy. Nothing has happened with the Viper. It’s not a commercial boat, and I’ve heard of no plans to make it such. I havent spoken with Spike in a few weeks but I’ve never heard him mention making the boat for anyone other than close friends who may want one,and that’s when he gets the time. I’m glad I’ve got mine …

and - which color is fastest?

interesting design
I am not sure I would do anything other than try it…

I think I would rather have a dedicated surf boat for $$$, but I would certainly pay big money to watch somebody take it out in big stuff…

Would like to try building a yak…
and create my own version of a bastardized sea kayak play boat/surf boat hybrid that no one but me would love. Would call it the sly-otter, or the Slotter :slight_smile:

Now I just need to get some boat building skills, some tools and materials, and a test pilot to brave the icy New England waters in my dubious creation. Sounds like a good way to pass the winter…

Intended use

– Last Updated: Dec-21-10 3:43 PM EST –

For a guy like you it's intended to replace a touring kayak, not a dedicated surf kayak. It's about packing light and touring in a boat that also far outsurfs any conventional sea kayak! It slaps a bit upwind, but paddles well at touring speeds, turns 180 in a stroke, and rides wind chop and any wave amazingly well. Haven't been in my Chatham 16 since I got the Viper.

You'd be someone who would understand this thinking I'd guess. It's all about riding stuff and we'd paddle a bathtub up-wind if it outsurfed a sea kayak. In our minds the very best sea touring kayaks are poor surf machines.

Like I said
try!!!

PS The videos currently on the Lendal site with Alistair are really cool.

I hope they get up and running soon to start giving werner a run for their money!

Nigel is gearing up
He’ll be making the standard Lendal stuff to the original standard, which was pretty tough! I’m helping a North American group R&D an Elite Lendal which so far is looking promising. Still early stages and the team will move slowly and deliberately. I can’t at this time quote a timeline for a new paddle.

Even producing the old stuff with
quality would be great!

He’s using many of the same folk
who built them before JOI, so I’d expect to see solid paddles. I’ve always liked the feel of lendal blades, especially the KInetic, and of course the true legit 4 pc is great for travel and blade changes.

I’d expect a slow introduction as Lendal doesn’t want to over promise delivery etc. Focus from what I see and hear is “do it right.”