Saranac Lake Islands Camping Questions

Can’t say. My friend has VZ wireless at his boathouse home but then you can move a few feet away and get nothing. I don’t know if he has a booster. You can always paddle to a cottage and hail someone if no service. This is NOT the wilderness you are going to. In a way that is part of the charm. There are a lot of old Adirondack camps and boathouses in the area over a hundred years ago… Historic Adirondack Camps - Historic Saranac Lake - LocalWiki

It matters because I’ll be alone with my 7 and 10 year olds and I would like to know if I would have a signal in case of an emergency. Or that THEY would have a signal in case something happens to me.

Where you are going is hardly wilderness camping and there will be plenty of people around, both other campers and people living along the shore of the lake. It might be overkill, but a flare gun might be an option. Pretty much everyone knows that a flare is an emergency distress signal and where you are someone is relatively certain to see one.

I always have one on my boat as part of an emergency kit tethered behind my seat in a drybag. If purchasing one be aware of the expiration date of the flares. To meet USCG certification they have a 42 month life span. However, I carry a number of expired flares and when I last tested a flare that was expired by over 10 years (at an event where we had the proper approvals to do so) , it still worked.

1 Like

Take a look at the video for Saranac Lake Marina. Eagle Island is the big island nearest the Marina.
You could have not picked a less wildernessy island. But the kids ought to have a blast. The boat traffic going by Eagle is …a lot.
http://www.saranaclakemarina.com/

I know it’s not wilderness but I didn’t know it’s busy. I didn’t really have a choice. The island spots fill up so fast. I booked end of October and it was the only island spot left during a decent week. It’s our first time going. Next year I’ll have to book even earlier. And eventually we want to do St Regis but baby steps.

I don’t know why so many people demand to have an island campsite. The sites are often overused and trashy with random TP flowers everywhere, even if there is an outhouse or thunderbox (whitch itself may be overused and smelly). All legal (dead and down only) available firewood has been long ago picked over and burned. Live trees are illegally hacked. There are better and often much cleaner options available when selecting mainland sites.

I think the allure of camping on an island is pretty obvious. Based on your answers to my questions (the island spot and my question about cell coverage) it seems more that you’re against the average camper/outdoors enthusiast. Not everyone is survivor man and everyone has to start somewhere. If you’re going to keep putting your nose up at my me every chance you get I would just as soon you not answer. I have a 7 year old and 10 year old that I’m introducing to the outdoors and they love it. Every year we get closer to pure wilderness. Last year we started backpacking. I’ve never canoe camped. Sorry if we don’t measure up to your definition of what camping should be. I’ll never understand why people who are embraced in a certain way of doing things think they need to shame others into their way as the only way.

The area is gorgeous. Most of the other end of Lower Saranac has no structures. In the end you may have picked the best intro to camping for your young new campers.

Next step would be Lows or Lake Lila or Little Tupper Lake. St Regis is good if you want your young uns to paddle their own canoe ( a good idea). None of the areas I mentioned require reservations.

But I do agree that camping on islands is often chosen because new campers have the idea that they will not be visited by animals. Nothing could be farther than the truth. Bears use islands as rest areas during their cross lake swims. I doubt you will be bothered by one though; I do not mean to alarm you.

1 Like

I have paddled and camped on Middle Saranac several times with family. Middle has much less boat traffic than Lower. A significant amount of the boat traffic I have seen on the river connecting Middle and Lower is not incredibly respectful of kayaks and canoes so be careful.

I was almost run over, with my family, by two drunk.women on a powerboat several years ago. They utilized the middle finger so they knew what they were doing. I now carry a flare gun…for self defense. And I will not hesitate to use it the next time.

Anyways, Middle is almost always serene and beautiful. I’m sure it will all work out fine in Lower Saranac. It would be worth it to install a safety orange flag on the kids kayak. Anything you can do to increase visibility. Teach them how to run perpendicular to large boat wakes.

One issue we struggle with is firewood. At most of the campsites, there is no dead firewood to be found. We have to paddle to areas with no campsites and cut firewood and paddle back to camp with it. It’s a piece of work. You may consider getting a bundle or two of the gas station firewood for the first night and then take part of the next day to scout your own.

Lastly, in June, the temps in the evening can easily dip down to 40s or even cooler. Take good sleeping bags and have some insulation or insulated pads. Even some Mylar Reflectix underneath an inflatable pad will help. They will enjoy the incredible display of stars on clear nights. Don’t forget to tie the boats at whatever landing you use.

Have fun! Your kids are lucky you are getting them into the outdoors!

1 Like

The only troublesome wildlife you are likely to encounter where you are going are racoons and squirrels. They are used to people can be persistent and fearless. They will chew into coolers and drybags if left unsecured and unattended. They can go after food left in tents and on picnic tables even if there are people around. If you are not used to semi-wilderness camping there is plenty of information about dealing with this problem online. They are generally not a danger to people.

This is a big open lake and I find the warnings about boat traffic to be overblown. It’s not like the harbors in Annapolis or St. Michaels. Boat traffic between Lower and Middle can be significant because it is narrow with a significant current. Larger power boats are constrained by the narrow channel add the need to have enough speed to maintain steerage. It’s a beautiful paddle however, and if you stay to one side, I’ve never had a problem. About an 11 mile round trip from where you are camped to the upper lock, an adventure in itself. Probably a bit long for your present crew, but something to keep in mine for the future.

1 Like

The worst time for power boaters is in the race to the boat ramps around dark after everyone has had a chance to empty their coolers into their bloodstreams. Good time to be in camp and off the water. Otherwise, be hyper vigilant about your surroundings

1 Like

Have you been there? Usually boat traffic is not a problem but Eagle Island is next to the Marina. My friends house is about 2000 feet from Eagle Island. You do have to pay attention at times. The marina is much more modern and busy compared to when it was dilapidated a few years ago. The Marina is seeking to expand as they are busy trying to buy lake bottom. It sounds bizarre but lake bottom is saleable property. The abutting landowners are trying to outbid them to prevent dock sprawl and more boats.

I did forget for the OP that late June is still blackfly season. It winds down about then but the skeeters start up… Make sure you have some repellent for the kiddos ; better yet apply permethrin to their camp clothes before you leave home. I agree that bears are not likely to bother you. My remark on island camping was more generic. I have seen many bears on islands in wilder places. Depends on the islands convenience and berry availability.

1 Like

Every year since 2003, with the exception of 2020. The marina is a half mile from Eagle Island and all the camp sites are on the opposite side from the marina.

By the way, from May 20 - June 30, 2022 the upper lock and campsites 63 - 87 on Middle Saranac Lake will be closed for lock maintenance.

If bringing in untreated firewood it must come from a 50 mile circumference area.

1 Like

The DEC waterways manager for Saranac recently told me that opening the upper lock at the end of June is extremely optimistic. Probaly will not happen.

But unless you have a large motorboat, the upper lock is a walk around and is no obstacle for paddlecraft. Also true for the lower lock, just a little longer carry.

Great info thanks. Not worried about bears or animals. We have rope to tree tie, bear canisters and a bear proof cooler with a lock.

I’ll have to look for a flag and tell them about boat wakes. Good idea.

And I was planning to bring some local firewood. I always find it a good idea.

That assumes that they will be maintaining the water level the whole time from Middle Saranac to the lock. Also whether they will restrict foot traffic during construction. There isn’t any information online that I could find.

Don’t they know it’s cannonball time they are interrupting??? Ha !! and what happened to the 1.2 million they invested in that lock in 2017?