Sarcastic Fishermen

You’re right - at river cleanups we find lots of stuff left by fishermen - especially coffee cups, bait containers and beer cans. If I can, I try to remove lines stuck in trees - those aren’t good for anyone.

In dealing with fishermen I try to be friendly (most are friendly back) and I try to stay out of their lines, but I don’t go way out of my way to appease them. I just ignore the occasional dirty look or snide comment. It’s my river too, and in a minute they are in the rear view mirror anyway.

1 Like

Here on the Chesapeake Bay, the waters are generally open enough to easily avoid fishermen. In waters controlled by USCG regulations it’s a good thing to keep in mind that the rules of navigation state that vessels are required to give way to other vessels actively engaged in fishing, as long as it’s safe to do so. People fishing from the shore are not mentioned, but common courtesy should suffice. It pays to keep an eye out for shore fishermen. Some can cast out quite a ways and it’s not a good thing to run under a line and have it snag on your rear deck where you can’t reach it. Many fishermen don’t realize that unless you have a rudder or skeg deployed you cannot snag a line if you run over it.

Fishermen around here are generally pretty friendly. The only exception I can recall is when paddling on the Severn near the YP boatyard opposite the Naval Academy in Annapolis. A few people were shore fishing and so I gave them plenty of room. Even so an old man began jumping up and down telling me I had no business kayaking there. I simply replied that last I checked the rules of navigation for navigable waters were set by the Department of the Interior, not some grumpy old **** fishing off a bulkhead. That seemed to leave him quiet, but looking rather confused.

An odd thing I’ve noticed is that shore fishermen seem to cast out as far as possible, even when fishing off a bridge. On the other hand, people fishing off a boat will often cast as close to the shore as possible. unless trolling in open water.

As mentioned, an unfortunate number of people fishing from the shore seem to think nothing about leaving all sorts of trash behind. I haven’t noticed people fishing from boats throwing trash overboard, although I’m sure some do.

2 Likes

An acquaintance with a power boat told me that kayaks have no business being out there in open water. I finally told him kayaks are less numerous out there there than partially submerged logs and parts of piers that break free in storms. Consider the kayaks to be dangerous floatsome wrapped in bright material to warn you and a pilot stearing so it doesn’t get in the path of your boat. Didn’t convince him. I laugh because of the crab pot floats s that are everywhere; get the anchor line in your prop and you’ll wish you had hit nothing more than an angry kayaker.

I’ve had my share of rantable (?) encounters with fishermen too. I think that’s why I value the positive encounters; they help change my mindset. Many times I’ve given fishing lures that I’ve found to a fisherman and they always seem happy and appreciative. One time a guy said “that’s the same lure that I’m using!”. :grinning:

3 Likes

What a concept! Of course we can all get along if we are so inclined, but too many would rather fight than win. I suggest the best way to ruin their day (and to keep yours on an even keel) is to grin and nod and walk (or paddle) away. What you say to yourself under your breath is up to you!

I ran into the line of a group of fishermen who were fishing right off the boat loading dock - with lines spread out in a 180 degree angle. We were all good sports about it though.

That’s a commonly misunderstood rule because many don’t read the entire definition. While the regulations do not distinguish between recreation or commercial vessels, simply fishing from a boat does automatically make that vessel the stand on vessel. Fact is any recreational fishing boat can and does maneuver all over the place with multiple lines, planer boards, trolling lines, etc. From Colregs:

“The term vessel engaged in fishing means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls, or other fishing apparatus which restricts maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict maneuverability.”

2 Likes

A boat anchored or drift fishing with the engine off would be restricted in maneuverability. On the Chesapeake many crabbers use trot lines that are fixed to the boat when following the line. These would also be restricted in maneuverability.

That said, if they are unwise enough to do this in a channel where other boats are restricted to because of water depth, in most cases they would likely not still be considered the stand on vessel and have to move to clear the channel.

The full rules of navigation from the Colregs are extensive and can be complicated. The overarching takeaway is that all mariners must do everything in their power to avoid a collision. There is no true “right of way”. With maritime accidents, in many cases the blame is apportioned among the parties involved.

Incorrect about drift fishing . You are still considered underway and subject to the rules. Throwing it in neutral or even shutting off the engine does not constitute “fishing apparatus which restricts maneuverability.” At anchor, yes. Not because you are fishing but because you are anchored. Trot line? Sure. It’s hardly the same as having a fishing pole over the side.

Rule 2 covers the obligation of avoiding a collision by both vessels. For purposes of this subject it’s particularly important because so many don’t know the rules or believe what they want. And, almost nobody displays proper day shapes or lights. No one said right of way. The terms are and have been for quite a while, stand-on and give-way.

In terms of drift fishing, in a practical sense it would depend on how long it would take a boat to reel in all of the lines and get their engine started. I can’t think of too many boaters that would expect someone to do this just so they could maintain a straight course rather than go around the boat if it was safe to do so. It could be argued that a boat not under power, sail, or oar would not be considered under control of the operator even if this were a temporary condition.

Unless you are anchored, you are Underway and not given any special consideration unless a defined exception or within the hierarchy. “Not under command” is defined as is “restricted in ability to maneuver.” And recreational fishing boats while fishing don’t qualify for the latter and only the former under exceptional circumstances- like loss of steering, incapacitated captain, etc.

As a practical matter, I agree many fisherman will not be interested in complying with the letter or spirit of the rules. So Rule 2 must be frequently engaged by otherwise stand-on vessels.

@rstevens15 agree with the interpretation. I believe you’d agree that fishing vessels cannot block vessels that cannot manuever outside a limited channel, such as long keel sailboats, barges and seagoing ships. The proliferation of crab pots and fishing boats outside of controlled channels, whether 6 ft deep or 40 ft deep by a hundred feet or so wide is something to see. Don’t mess with someones crab pots, trap floats, or lines. They go where the crabs they know! Ifs funny to be with somebody when another person is in their spot. Dedicated crabbers have at least 20 spots. Depending on the rain, time of year, moon beams, barometric pressure and tide . . .

For those that get sarcastic in those Ichthy situations,
whilst they’re throwing out barbed lines towards your passing inclinations,
let them know that their allure comes from soon a baited breath,
as their catchy lines come up empty because they lack for any depth.

Or maybe just yell (like some helmeted Frenchman manning the parapet), “Your mother was a hooker, and your father couldn’t handle the reel-ality!”

1 Like

Or say ******* Shorsey.

1 Like