Sawyer, Placid, Bell, Souris, ... and me

?
This seems rather strange. Why is there this level of animosity between the current maker of Kruger boats and those boat’s most vocal of proponents? I find myself wondering how this should affect my consideration of one as source of information and the other as source of a boat.

A third Bell fan
I have a Morningstar and it is one of the best little canoes I have ever paddled. I also had a Sawyer Champion 6 cruiser. My first canoe. Bought it off a guy for $150. Faster than hell, scared the hell out of my wife and I the first time we paddled it. Had a lot of fun with it drag racing on lakes, but then bought the much more practical Morningstar. Now my neighbor owns the Sawyer, paddles it with a double blade kayak paddle and loves it.

Yeah, what gives with Mad River. I think some of those innovations they had on reconfiguring yokes, thwarts and such were smart, but their newer models are so heavy and ugly that they make a old Gruman Dreadnought look like a Wenonah. If you can’t kneel in a canoe, it is not a canoe. Call me a neanderthal if you want, but that is how I see it.

I am alarmed at all your rumors about Bell though.

randino.

Fastest Sawyer solo?
How did the shockwave, summersong et:al stack up to the other fast solos of its day? the Advantage, Mud river tempest, Go fast solos frm Mohawk(Jensen designs)? Will the new Sawyer come out with a stock solo that will compete with the Grasse River Classic XL And Savage River Otegan?

No Answer to First Question
I own an XL and a Summersong.

The XL is faster (as you already know).

Are any of the racing Sawyer hulls as efficient as the XL’s? I’m not familiar with the Shockwave, but it sounds like a somewhat faster hull than the Summersong…

(Who needs all this damn speed, anyway. Ahhh…(:

Glenn

My BAD,
I should not have fallen into a war of words in such a public place. I do apologize for any antagonistic comments in my previous post. My relationship with Mick is of no importance to anyone.

I would like to wish Mick good luck with his new job.

Mark.

Shockwave
I just bought a Shockwave, and have not paddled anything comparable to it, like an Advantage. I wanted a faster hull than my Wildfire and Merlin II, and found it in the Shockwave. It is a beautiful canoe, which turns more easily than I expected, and is very responsive to correction strokes. I was also surprised at how stable it feels. The seller provided me with a 1990 brochure with the specifications of the various Sawyer and Oscada hulls, if anyone would like that information.

I’d PAY for that Information
It would be nice to have this info at my fingertips.

How would you provide such info? Type it in???

I’m curious about these hulls. The Summersong is SO sweet, I just wonder how Sawyer’s other solo hulls compare in length/width…

Thanks,

Glenn

Sawyer brochure
The brochure has color photos, descriptions, and specifications for each model. I can scan and snail mail the brochure to you if you’d like, if you email me your address. Or I can type the specifications for the main models–Autumn Mist, Summersong, and post here on p-net–I may need a day or so to get that done.

magic vs. DY
I can’t compare the Magic with a SummerSong, but I do own a DY Special. My cousin owns a Magic, which I’ve paddled a few times. The DY is definitely sleeker and faster than the Magic, it really knifes through the water. The Magic is fuller and more versatile, while still being a relatively long, low, fast canoe. The initial stability seems to be about the same. Of canoes I’ve paddled, the DY is most similar to the Advantage.

In The Meantime…
Even though I’ve posted this link numerous times some may have not seen them yet so I’ll do so again since this is the topic of conversation.

You will find two albums containing a little Sawyer Info. here, which are, bar none, the most popular albums in this account.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ogilvyspecial1

Jack

good responses
Mark/ManitouCruiser, I’ve appreciated your responses on the costs for Sea Wind rudder and seat components for my Monarch. The rudder is holding up fine so far, but I’ll be ordering a seat as soon as I get around to see Pete’s Sea Wind to make sure of what cuts I’ll have to do to get it to fit.

My 16 month daughter and I just ran the Watauga (TN) below Wilbur Dam this past weekend in it - nice run - she squealed with delight in the bouncy wavetrains.

that is weird
i’ve been taken to task by a certain builder when i posted information that wasn’t EXACTLY correct. they didn’t call me out on the board, though. maybe i just can’t get under people’s skin as well as mick. :wink:

Wildfire and Flashfire
Arkay,

I don’t believe that Charlie has taken over the production of either the Wildfire or the Flashfire, at this time. But he has taken the Starfire which was never a big seller for Bell. Both are still listed on Bell’s Website. But Charlie can take them whenever he wants.

I know 100% that Bell has plans to build the Yellowstone Solo in composite. It’s just a matter of time.

PK

Don’t care about Bell
But I don’t want them to decline. As for their seeming obsession with the bottom line, Remmember Wabash Canoes? By all accounts a great canoe( I still get beat by tehm). they did not pa yenough attention to the bottom line…

not trying to rag on bell
just hope they keep up the QC and top-of-the-line designs. i’m sure they do need to sell some cheap designs to stay in the black. just don’t want to see the company change really. as for wenonah, they’ve got plenty of business, it seems.

btw, how is the morningstar? i’m wanting one pretty bad these days.

Sawyer Website
Does anyone know if the new Sawyer will have a website available soon?

Sawyer Website?

– Last Updated: Jun-18-05 12:55 AM EST –

Sorry gang. Have been, still on a long trip and NO web access till now. Have not had time to read all the posts, just skimmed down them. Will do better, try to read and answer most when I finally get home. Will answer this one short one then gone again for a few days at least.

The Sawyer web site is being worked on. As with the Sawyer boats I have been told that time is being taken to do it right. Will holler as soon as I hear it is up.

Happy Paddl'n!

>:^)

Later,

Mick

Hey Mark! Will get back with you …
on this. Only have a few hours at home before have to leave again.

Tried to get ahold of you while in Michigan, but kept missing you. Was about an hour away and thought we could talk.

Later, Mick