Sculling brace

lean way back
put your back on the back deck that keeps you close to the centre of gravity. keep the paddle low on the dry side and don’t let the blade go too deep.

skull slowly and if you are in a ba, or pfd you can let your body fall in the ater and ballance.

i paddle a capella and am flexable.

it’s not very hard realy, it is a show off brace.

practice like hell alone or with a friend then annoy the lads by showing them how its done.

good luck

fiona

Sculling sublities

– Last Updated: Jun-30-07 8:37 AM EST –

That article was written long before Greg Stamer was spreading the word about official Greenland techniques and I had discussions about that technique with him and Turner Wilson too. We learned what we knew from old Gail Ferris videos and John Heath videos.

I practice the official Greenland sculling style too. The problem I have is that you don't paddle with the paddle across your face or chest. The Greenland method seems to use the sculling maneuver as an entity separate from paddle use. If I paddle and get whacked by a wave and tossed in, I can scull from my belly position because that's where the paddle is as I paddle to start with. I don't feel the necessity to lift it up to my face to scull. In other words, I use it as an extension of my paddling stroke. Whereas, people who do strict Greenland style always teach it as a technique that is used on ponds. The likelihood of ever plopping back into the water with the paddle over your face never seems like a realistic paddling event to me. The official Greenland way never seems to scull down to the water either.

Years back John Heath wrote and article with a drawing showing a Greenlander sculling with one hand under the boat grabbing the chine and pulling it as well.

Atlanta … Altantic

Face? I do at chest level
Sometimes below chin - sometimes mid chest. Very easy transitioning in and out of other things. If I flop over - there it is. I understand what you’re saying about pond use, but I still must be mising something in the descriptions here…

Yes - neck level
Actually, you’re right the Greenland practitioners do it at neck level.

I learned it using a Euro long before I tried a GP. So for me it was just holding another paddle but since I was going to extend it and use it fully, it went in the same position that I did it with the Euro which would be in the paddling position across your gut or lower chest.

I think it’s important in paddling to be able to use the lower brace scull with the GP and continue down to the water. You’re then forced to switch your grip and have your body below the paddle. I usually like holding it with my fingers on top of the blade with my thumb beneath. (rather than the full palm under the blade).

No Advice Here: Accidental Scull
Last year at pool class, I was working with an instructor on a half roll, and I decided not to waste a flop in the water, and sculled my way down instead. I was shocked when I found myself just laying there with my face out of the water. Maintaining the position was effortless. Don’t think I was able to do it again, although I should give it another try sometime. Seemed like there’s a “sweet spot” that needs to be found. I found it by accident.

Lou

Overall shape
is what makes the Elaho do well, not the hard edges or dent in the hull.

SIDE SCULL IN CONDITIONS
I paddle both ways, Euro and Greenland (and Sea and WW). Laying on my back, totally relaxed in the water and side sculling through 3 foot waves is pretty fun, actually. I’ve also done it through some big wave trains in my WW boat. Sometimes in sea conditions if I am extending the stick in a big bow sweep to turn on top of a wave, I might loose and edge and simply flop into the water on my back and side scull until I want to sit back up. Basically it is just a traditional version of the full committed high brace (palms up) that EJ teaches with a little sculling action to help with lift.

Sweet spot
Rather than seeking some elusive “sweet spot” (satori) - look to these spots/moments as glimpses of a wider range of options. Explore and expand the whole “sweet range” until it’s a full 360 - in any direction, from any position (enlightenment).

Rushing and panicking make this nearly impossible. Calm relaxed exploration is a shortcut. Liquid meditation…

Having a basic roll to fall back on really helps this exploration. A sculling brace can be a path to this, or an added tool - many facets of the same gem.