Scupper Holes and Plugs make no sense to me -- yet!

I only use the Cajun Thunders in a SinK for that very reason…
Luvs are good in either boat… :wink:

I thought you get the Cajun Thunders after red beans and rice.

@string said:
SOT that length tend to be wide slugs . The Eddyline Carribean might work for you.

These people here don’t paddle to fast. I still have the pack canoe and 14’ kevlar yak available. i’m thinking the SOT might be easier to enter and exit the boat.

There is no question that SOT are easier to get in and out of. I have had SINKs and a pack canoe. I can get in fairly easily but the only way I can get out is with help or roll enough to fall out. Bad back and leg .
WS, Hobie, and Native make good, albeit heavy SOT.

Before I purchased my first kayak I tried several different ones including a SOT. I found that it was a wet ride as that was before scupper hole plugs. The scuppers on a ship allows water washed onto the deck to drain overboard and likewise in a kayak. All SOT kayaks have low sides as compared to a sit-in-side kayak. That allows easy reentry. I believe that SOT were originally designed for skin and scuba diving in the ocean, so the paddler was always going to be wet. They were adopted by fishermen as they are more stable than SIS kayaks and thus safer in waves. So depending on how and where you tend to use a SOT kayak, it may make sense to add plugs to stay dry by preventing water from bouncing up from below like wave action. It should be easy to temporarily removing the plugs to drain any water that gets in over the the sides or on your feet or paddle.

I like being able to plug my scrubber holes at times. Especially when the water and air is cold. I also like the option of using plugs in the bay. I never use plugs when I’m fishing BTB.

We do a fair amount of swamp paddling in the warm months and I stay mostly dry in my Tarpon.
Swamps have a lot of wiggly critters and I’ve watched a couple come up in the scuppers. Things like minnows and tadpoles. No snakes yet but I’ve had one that looked like a rattlesnake look like he wanted to come aboard from the side.
I back paddled and he went the other way.
Then there was the time a dock spider , saucer sized, fell in the canoe. I think snakes are cool; not so with large spiders around my bare feet.

Yellow sponge golf balls available everywhere are perfect as cockpit scupper plugs (~$10 a dozen). I use them all the time paddling/fishing in flat water on my Tarpon 100 SOT.