Sea Eagle Explorer vs. Fasttrack

They both have a drop stitch floor. I just found it odd that the explorer package was so much cheaper given the explorer hull only price is actually higher and the FT doesn’t t come with any better accessories than the explorer does. Definitely considering the explorer now if it’s that bulletproof.

It’s probably because the FT has a trademarked keel.
Keels are desirable for flatwater, very undesirable in a boat designed for whitewater where they can catch on rocks.

(I had not been to Sea Eagle’s site for some time, and with five other boats, had little reason to go there. But your questions…)

The 380x pivoting skeg will help mitigate yaw(or movement from side-to-side while paddling) somewhat like a keel does. But the hull length keel on the FT eliminates this yaw altogether. And that might be the additional cost right there. (Getting to know the 380x/or any wider paddle craft, and using a good high-angle forward stroke also eliminates yaw.)

Myself, I almost never used the 380x drop down pivoting skeg on flatwater. With two people in the boat using double blade paddles in sync, it wasn’t really necessary to attach the skeg. And when going
solo, I simply compensated for yaw and propelled forward using an aggressive forward paddle stroke.

As you reached out to Sea Eagle before, reach out to them again and let them explain why the cost difference with two similarly spec’d boats.:thinking:

Both kayaks are very stable, the difference is the Fasttrack was made to be faster on flat water while the Explorer is made for white water. You can use the Explorer in flat water but its tubes are larger so its more affected by wind. The Fasttrack also has an inflatable skeg up front along with the rear skeg that makes it easier to cut through flat water and small waves.

Unless you plan on doing above Class II Whitewater, go with the FT.

The seam issues were mainly during COVID, both biats use the same seam construction.

One thing about inflatables is that do not keep them on dry land at max inflation. As the air warms up, it expands and that can cause issues. Another thing is make sure you dry them good before storage.

Maybe I’m just way overthinking this. Either kayak will be very good. I just second guess the decision because I can’t afford to get both. Either way I’d be upgrading to the SE AB40 paddles at the least with the pro seats. Are the SE carbon paddle upgrade worth it? If I got the explorer the carbon package would be in budget. In terms of boat handling I just wanted to be sure something like the explorer wasn’t going to be super hard to paddle around all day on the lake. Not that I’m in bad shape but it’s good to know.

Every boat is a compromise.
In my experience, this adage applies to hardshell kayaks, canoes, dingies, rowboats, sailboats and (I’ve heard) even large yachts. There’s no such thing as finding one boat that can do it all in every category. And that’s why they’re specialized with strength in a particular area, and passable ability in others. We find what’s the most versatile for our own needs, or rather, the waters we will frequent the most. One gets excited, we make our decisions and choose. Then hope that choice is worth the hard won bucks. Some days that choice leads to a fantastic, exceptional experience. And other days, maybe a bit of buyer’s remorse. But if we really enjoy the majority of our boating experiences, like many others here, we’re satisfied enough to want to expand those experiences–And end up buying/obtaining another boat(if not even more)anyway.:wink:

As far as the paddles go, it all comes down to weight. If you plan on covering a lot of paddling miles, the reps take their toll like a boxer who punches himself out before going the distance. If you’re not covering vast distances on that lake, then even a 2 x4 will propel you around enough for a fun day. After my original purchase, I found the SE paddles that came with the package insufficient for my needs. So afterwards purchased a couple Aquabound carbons.

Well, I’ve now provided more than my usual heap of advice to this thread. Time for me to “paddle-sail” off into the sunset…

My brother-in-law went with a fast track for he and my sister to paddle together. I paddled his FT solo and found it easy to control. They both liked the boat. His was from the batch that had problems with seam separation. He is one of those people who takes excellent care of his gear. He also has a NDK Explorer and a Necky, both composite sea kayaks. When he contacted the company about the issue. They blew him off by saying it had to be a storage issue, and I think it was just over the warranty period. He will have nothing to do with them from now on.

One final question and I swear I’m done. Is the upgrade to the ab50 carbon worth the $100 from the ab40 paddles? Will I notice a big difference?

So he did have a seam separation?

Since you’re in New England, there is a Sea Eagle dealer in the Boston area named Jim Luckett. His business is Sailboats To Go and his web site says he can beat Sea Eagle’s web pricing. I’m not affiliated and have no experience with him, but I figured I mention another source of sales advice.

Yes, and they did like the Fast Track. He has since learned that there was a batch that had the problem. What got to him is they didn’t make good on their mistake.
Caveat Emptor!

Yes, probably…I don’t know the quality of the ab50, but you can easily spend $100+ on a single quality carbon paddle. I only know their basic package metal paddles really suck.

You must mean the entry level ab30 paddles with the basic package. Yeah I’m not getting those regardless. I’m leaning towards the explorer pro carbon. Still $100 cheaper than ft pro.

1 Like

I went with the 380X Pro Carbon package using Kayak Cliff’s affiliate links. It should be here by next weekend. Finally did it up and bought it.

2 Likes

Congrats, enjoy. Good on you for following up here. So many check-in, seek
boat choice recommendations, then never get back with what they decided upon.:+1:

1 Like

Hi,
I have bought 2 Sea Eagles Fast Track.
It was great when they were new. Fast and stable.
Although i used and stored them with great care,
there were quality problems that made them unusable.
And after 3 years do not expect any warranty from the company.
They suggested me to buy a third one !
I bought a second after the first passed away, but not a third one !
Check the quality of the boat you are going to buy.
Photos available.