Sea Kayak School in California

BIG OOPS - Kayak Connection not CCK

– Last Updated: Jun-05-15 1:03 PM EST –

Sorry about that. I meant Kayak Connection in Moss Landing and SC. Mark Pastick sold the business and it now seems to be aimed at high volume rentals with low skilled staff.

Sean Morely (Now at CCK?) is one of the best kayakers on the west coast and a great instructor. I've taken a couple of surf lessons from him during the seakayak symposium here in SD and also surfed in heats against him at contests.

WATER
Wow great reminder. When we went down, we drove to Mulege and launched from there, returning to our campsite each night. My friend that did Bay of LA was only gone for three days longest without returning to a vehicle (so 3 gallons of water). Not sure the best way to deal with water if you’re doing a several month trek. Some of those stretches are VERY desolate.

Water
Sonny, the product I’ve used with great success are the MSR dromodarys, the 2.5 gallon expedition weight. Best to test the caps at home because sometimes they need to be replaced, but a bit of plastic bag screwed under the cap guarantees they won’t leak.

Carrying 3 of those puppies filled completely would give you a 10 day supply of water. Hopefully that would be enough to get you from Mulege to Loreto, but there’s a few fishing villages along the way you could fill up at, and maybe get some fish tacos. Helps to know some Spanish.

The problem with water is it’s heavy, but the nice thing about water is you use it quickly and it’s easy to pack in the boat.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water/storage/dromedary-bags/product

keeler mod

– Last Updated: Jun-05-15 9:43 PM EST –

Plans for extended touring on Florida's west coast asked for water supply so I designed into MSR 10-liter bags mounted onto the Titan's keel with wide Velcro from Settle fabrics. Attached Velcro to Titan with 3M fast cure 4/5000, Velcro to warm MSR bags with 3M 77.

Velcroed one bag front and rear both sides for piggyback MSR.

2 in line in cockpit between legs, 3 in stern hatch, 2 front hatch.

Great for ballast trim.

Pack clothing in a dry bag n stuff on top. The Velcro holds MSR when yak is upside down. Thus the touring water supply becomes a rolling aid keel. Perfect for a good snap roll.

In turning, possible to edge the Titan at 90 degrees to water. Try that and the snap roll with a 2 bag paddle float practice, one bag both paddle ends.

Get your ear in the water then snap.

Then roll.

PERFECT