Sea kayakers - foot plate or foot pegs?

That boat had plastic BHs and never had a problem…
I kept an eye on them and wondered but no fails…

I’m good.

Well I know you are weighing the pros and cons of a custom Isel.
The foot plate in the Isel is really comfortable and its adjustable.
All my previous boats I had foot pegs. Now buying a new boat is a lot of money .I had to save up for 2 years for mine. Now I Kayak most weekends April to October. So the boat gets used. That’s how I justified it. I never regretted it. Saturday I will paddling off the Coast of Rhode Island and with a big smile. If you kayak often its money well spent.
I over thought the purchase for years.

for several reasons, I recently installed a foot pad into my fast boat.

I built it with a piece of aluminum angle, drilled to fit across the two rails for foot pegs. I cut a 20 degrees angle on a piece of cherry and attached a piece of 1/4 in plywood to that.

Attaches that to the aluminum and used bolts with wing nuts to attach it to the boat.

After deciding I liked it, painted it with Brightsides polyurethane paint. Now I love it.

1 Like

It’s difficult to justify given that I am 10+ hours to the nearest ocean. It was a no-brainer when I purchased the Alaw Bach second hand. My future plans do include trying to move back to the mid-Atlantic, or perhaps the Northeast, so maybe that’s justification enough. The foot plate in the Isel looks very nice.

That sounds nice and very similar to the foot plate in my Dagger WW boat. It could be moved forward and back in small increments.