Sealed bulkheads

THANK YOU! He wouldn’t even counter lol. You’d have thought I egged his car or something. Secretly (or not to secretly) I’m kind of glad it didn’t work out, because I keep looking at those beautiful, shiny Santee Sports.

I’m telling you Amy, try a beautiful, shiny Pungo Ultralite too! :slight_smile:

It IS BEAUTIFUL! The Santees are a little less expensive though. I found another Pungo 120 on Craiglist though! People are snatching them up quick, so sellers are getting away with asking near retail. Can’t blame them I guess. At least this seller was honest and sane.

I wish I had more options to test paddle these boats. My closest Hurricane dealer is almost 4 hours away. There’s a Wilderness Systems dealer and hour and a half away, so I might make a weekend trip to check some out in person. I will likely end up with a pungo just because they seem to be more available in my area.

@AmyD said:
I wish I had more options to test paddle these boats. My closest Hurricane dealer is almost 4 hours away. There’s a Wilderness Systems dealer and hour and a half away, so I might make a weekend trip to check some out in person. I will likely end up with a pungo just because they seem to be more available in my area.

Here’s a long shot that worked for me and might work for you: There was no way to demo a particular kayak of interest so I contacted a local shop (not a box store) who sold the brand and asked if they would check their sales records and let me know if there was someone local who had purchased that model. They did and took it a step further by arranging a time and place for the private demo. It worked out quite nicely.

Might not work out that way for you, but no harm in asking.

Great news! I found a used Pungo 140 for $300 on Facebook. A little longer than I anticipated, but I believe the 14 footers have two bulkheads! Is 14 feet too long? Should I keep looking for a 12 footer?

Amy, you should jump on that 140.

With two bulkheads it’s a safer boat than a 120 and it’s a little faster too. The only downside is that it’s a little bigger and heavier.

That sounds like a great price though.

Hope you were able to snag that Pungo – excellent price. When something comes up like that you have to jump on it IMMEDIATELY. It would not last long at $300 – that is half what used Pungos usually go for, at least anywhere I’ve lived…

She has two of them actually. I’m buying both! I think one is older, it has the length and cockpit dimensions of a pungo 120, but side simply says “Pungo” on the side, no 120.

It’s always nice to have a pair of kayaks so you can find people to go out with you (and convince your friends to take up the sport and buy their own boats.)

Exactly!! I intend to drag others down this rabbit hole with me… muhahaha!