Sean Morley record try: Vancouver Island

He definitely will nail that
40 nautical miles per day on the inside is no big deal. Guy is a badass…he’ll easily nail that.

Peter-CA…you say Sean was in

– Last Updated: Oct-10-08 10:57 AM EST –

deleted my over the top comment.

his wife…
Maybe his wife is Jenna? If not, she probably wouldn’t like your comment.

TITS is commonly used acronym for the This is the Sea series of movies. Here’s the link to TITS2 - http://www.paddling.net/store/showProduct.html?product=284

did he swap boats for the inside?
or still paddling the sea kayak?

Sean has completed his journey
Saw his SPOT show he’s back at Port Hardy at 7:47 this evening. An amazing feat given the winds and seas (okay, I couldn’t come close with a nice tail wind the entire way).

that’s 18 days
holy cow that’s mad. he had a lot of unfavourable weather in keeping with the change of seasons. incredible, it will be interesting hearing his reflections when he returns to regular life.

Which is more impressive?
Congratulations to Sean. He completed the circumnavigation in under 18 days, as he hoped despite constant headwinds and a day of forced layover.

The old solo record was about 23.5 days and the double kayak record is 19.5 days. Do you think it was more impressive to break the solo record by nearly a week or the double record by about 2 days.

I would think that beating the double record is more impressive. 18 days in such isolation without company and assistance seems very hard to me - I don’t know how Sean and Joe did that. I guess you have to be very self reliant and like your own company.

Has anybody ever figured out what type of advantage a double kayak would have on a long trip like that?

doubles are way faster
given the boat length and twice the horsepower. from what i’ve heard about those 2 fellows who did it last year, i’m not very impressed. they were underprepared and made a lot of mistakes from what i’ve heard in the paddling community. i imagine a couple of hard ass racers in a long ruddered tandem could obliterate either of these records.

there would be long stretches of pure solitude for sure, but the Island is quite populated and Sean would be in the ‘company’ of lots of boats and recreational and commercial traffic for more than half his trip. it’s those who do it at a more human pace, 50-60 days that have more ‘alone time’ issues i suspect. i paddled just over half the Island in one long go, about 30 days and there’s lots of time for introspection! i’m reminded of some of those folks who have paddled from here up to Alaska, now that entails serious remoteness my dog. a couple of brothers from Australia paddled from Victoria to Alaska and BACK in a season, now that’s hard to get my head around… they paddled on the outside of the Island, each way.