seaworthy day touring kayak

Actually…
At 150# added weight:

Waterline length: 12’ 7"

Waterline beam: 21.5"

Draft: 4.0"

If you look at John Lull’s book, “Sea Kayaking Safety and Rescue” you will see the Coaster on the front and back covers, and it is also well photographed throughout the book. Thus, why would someone title a book “Sea Kayaking…” and put a Coaster on the cover if they didn’t believe it represented a sea kayak?

I disagree
I think you are defining boats based on dimmensions and stability curves. So my HP surf kayak is really a rec boat! Stable, short… Is a Pintail a touring boat? It’s stable. Primary on a Coaster is excellent. My point is that the Coaster is an exceptional rough water, high wind kayak…probably one of the best production coastal boats ever made. Label as you wish. Skinny and tippy generally equate to less wetted surface / drag and more efficient straight ahead glide, but thats a compromise when it comes to maneuverability. Depends on which variables you decide you like.

Agree endo.

contrarian II
I agree w/ harsfur, the boats mentioned by Ibmikie are designed for a target market of those wanting the “quick start guide to kayaking”; they have high initial stability and are not very responsive. Anyone can get out in them right away and move about the various bodies of water without ever learning much skill.

In wind and tide conditions , as you may find in “open water”, those boats are not going to hold an edge or shed wind well at all and thus will have a much harder time making any headway at all. Higher decks catching more wind, lack of any real hull design to hold course in any real “open water” conditions.

No, they don’t compare to real sea kayaks. Can you take them in open water? Of course you can. Doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. Are they cheaper than real sea kayaks, no. There are great sea kayaks on this site for $1500.

I nixed the Zoar based on the seat alone
When I was looking for a boat, the Zoar Sport was actually one of the ones I tried. But the seat was so uncomfortable for me, that I didn’t really spend much more than a few minutes in it. It just seemed so short that I felt like I was falling off the front of it all the time.

For its class, I felt that the Tsunami tracked very well - something that was very important to me. I do a lot of photography when I’m out, and with my previous boat, I’d see something photo-worthy, so I’d stop paddling and fish out my camera. By time I looked back up again, I’d be facing a completely different direction.

I like having a day hatch, and I’ve got to tell you… I’ll never own a boat that doesn’t have a paddle holder on the side of the boat, even if I have to install it myself.

I find that with my natural cadence, I paddle approx 4.5 mph. Last summer, I tried a friend’s Chatham 18, and with the same stroke, I was going 6 mhp. The boat felt great, and an extra three large rattling around in my pocket, I’d get it in a heartbeat.

But until then, the Tsunami is doing me just fine.

Touryak
Rather than the Calabria I suggest the Touryak or even the good old Seayak. The Calabria doesn’t have a front hatch. The Touryak is quite fast for its length and width (see Seakajaker magazine).

Coaster not a small persons boat
if it was then any 8’ whitewater boats would be small persons boats. The Coaster can easily accomodate a 200lb paddler.

Gerry is correct- the Calabria does

– Last Updated: Mar-30-06 9:00 AM EST –

not have a front hatch or a front bulkhead; just a flotation bag. The Touryak and Seayak are also excellent choices.

you are the limitation
period. I went through the same question 16yrs ago when I sold my Solstice and wanted a more maneuverable kayak. Deciding between a Necky Arluk IV and a Swallow. “is this one faster,Is this one better in waves/open ocean?”…The manitou 13 is a good kayak,don’t have much experience in a Manitou 14. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a relatively wider sea kindly hull. For 2-3mph speeds in choppy water you’ll be a lot happier in a 14’ kayak than a narrow 17’ kayak.