Selecting a Kayak - Sit In or Sit On?

Yes, a 250 pound person can be happy
in a 10 foot boat. It depends on the cockpit, or, in the case of the Mini-X, how its arranged. I’ve a 9.5 foot Necky Skye that I was very pleased with, but needed more capacity and got a good deal on a used Loon. Then I got an even better deal on a solo canoe that meets my needs even more. A lot depends on what you want the kayak for. If its just puddling around, it will do fine. My weight ranges from 225 to 240, depending on the season…more in winter and I’m 5"9". I find no differnce in the leg length room in my Loon and my Necky. Its in the storage capacity.

Thank You
Thank you all for your input. I honestly am reading it all and checking out the things you mention. I am thinking it may be next spring before I buy, as I really think I do need to take those lessons to gain my confidence. I have watched 2 different videos a couple times each. I think I actually know more about kayaking than my daughter and husband do.

The local river here is not all that wide, and has many fallen trees to maneuver around. I am concerned with the longer kayak that I won’t have the ability to avoid obstacles as I would in the shorter boat.

I do know how to swim, and I know to wear the PDF at all times in the boat. My fear comes from when I was in high school, and getting stuck under a canoe that tipped over. I didn’t realize how intense that fear was until this summer with my daughter begging me to go kaying with her. I want to do this for her.

My initial thoughts are that I should go with a sit in style, but my fear seems to be more relaxed with the thought of a sit on style. I will check this out thoroughly, and make the best decision for me.

Thanks, Karen

if your fear
is so great about getting pinned under a canoe. At least with the SOT the risk or perceived risk of being pinned under the boat is not as high. It will be a starting point so you can get past the fear in a boat that doesn’t make you feel “trapped”. After a couple of years kayaking and hopefully taking lessons, you can look at sit inside kayaks or even a solo canoe for the river you paddle.

The Mini-X may be the thing for you on
a narrow river, as long as there is not a strong current. It will take the weight, maneuver well, and be easy to mount and dismount. However, on lakes, it will not be as fast as a longer kayak. Not bad, just not as fast. In rec boats, fast really means ease of paddling, less energy spen. Try out a few kayaks to get a feel for what you want. Sit on tops and sit insides do feel different, though not as much as some would think.

10 foot boats suck. I weigh close to
250 and paddle a Tarpon 160 in creeks, over logs,around tight corners, under logs,through small rapids with doglegs , and so forth. A T160 is a handful on land, but great in the water.

Just ask me or Swedge.

Oh, why do 10’ boats suck? No ‘glide’ at all.You work hard for every inch of water covered.

Current
I am referring to the Huron River which is in the Southern Third of Michigan’s lower peninsula. The part of the river near our home is narrow, and slow. It does have much wider areas further south of us. The other river we would be on is the AuSable in the northern third of the lower peninsula (sister in law has a cottage on Big Creek which leades to the AuSable). The AuSable is much wider, it is faster than the Huron, but I think most would say it is slow moving.

There are other options
There are other sections of the Huron that aren’t as narrow that canoeists use all the time. And there are all kinds of lakes not far from your home. Give Kennsington Lake a try.

Cobra kayaks…
Check out cobra kayaks, lots of nice SOTs, many of witch might suit you.

http://www.cobrakayaks.com/kayaks.html

on rivers/streams like the AuSable…
Biggest issue you need to be aware of in moving water is that of branches/whole_trees in the stream, under the surface…that extend out from the bank…into the current, sometimes underwater…not always under, but often are. Known as “sweepers”, they’re often the biggest item to look out for when paddling moving water.

Perfect Boat
I have been searching for it for over four years now. As many will tell you, there is no perfect boat. However, I do agree with some of the other posters on shorter boat lengths. Unless you are getting into WW or multi day touring, a boat in the 12’ range is a good choice. A 12 footer can offer a good mix of storage, off water ease of handling, tracking, speed, stabilty, and maneuverability. I was very hard headed about this and determined to find a shorter boat that did it all. I now have 4 boats. One is a WW boat and the other 3 are all in the 12’ range.

I disagree about the OT Loon. I"ve one.
Yes, its a great boat for larger paddlers. Tracks well, but isn’t the easiest to turn. I love it in the water. Its getting on the racks and down to the water I hate. Cumbersome and heavy. For a woman of any size, if she has to load and unload it, its not a kayak I would recommend.

12-foot
I’m large & tall as well, and like my 10-ft Perception Prodigy. However, I like my husband’s Pungo 120 a little better, and agree with GK that a 12-footer will serve you better over the long run. You can also fit more Beenie-Weenies in a 12-footer for longer trips.

One good piece of advice here so far
Best piece of advice here so far…

Before you do anything, get over that earlier bad experience with the canoe. A good instructor will make this far easier and less frightening.

So get some lessons with a good instructor.

Forget picking a boat right now and get comfortable just being in and around kayaks. You’ll figure out your comfort level, whether or not you feel comfortable in a sit-inside kayak, how easily you can handle them, etc.

Then think about the boat itself.

Pungo 120
Ditto on the Pungo 120…good, stable, all-around boat.

large & stable
http://www.jacksonrec.com/kayaks/daytripper.cfm

Might be worth a try if there’s a dealer nearby.