shark sightings

LIONS & TIGERS & BARES, OH MY!

– Last Updated: May-26-06 10:08 PM EST –

Well, perhaps not the first two, but the latter, on a sun porch off a nice Coconut Grove waterfront neighborhood a few years back.

Wonderful just how silent a kayak can be...

And all of the sharks I've paddled over, along with all the rays, manatees, cuda, porpoises, and fish have been that way as well... And there have been many, many, many -of ALL of the above -down here.

Never have seen a spinner -either placidly swimming, or doing its thing -but have seen tons of nurse sharks, some lemons and blacktips -and, while diving, but not paddling, a bull and a hammerhead. And no -not ANYTHING like that 14-footer that fellow recently hauled up...

The latter two are instances where I'd've MUCH rather have been able to

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

Now, this was a really big shark:
Shark, white Carcharodon carcharias M-60 kg (130 lb) 2664 lbs. 0 oz. - 1208.38 kgs Ceduna South Australia Alfred Dean Apr. 21, 1959 LC; AT

Sharks
I used to night dive a lot in Broward County. We would capture immature green turtles, hall them to the surface and place flipper tags on them, measure and release the critters. Captured 145 over 4 years. I never encountered any sharks during the project, however during the day I would run into the usual nurse sharks, lemons and bulls. Out of sight, out of mind.

Perhaps the alligators
Aren’t so bad after all!

Uh Nice
Currently in the midst of planning a Montauk crossing, and was trying not to think of ‘Jaws.’ (which was also on TV last night) :wink:

never expected
this many replies…guess it is not so rare.

Paul

I see sharks all the time
Nurse sharks and black tips only so far. If you go out early enough in the morning, you will see more wildlife.

Scuba Diving experience in Puget Sound
Never crossed a shark while paddling, but as a scuba diver we have seen and dived with hundreds.

In the Puget Sound they do have 6 gill sharks but they are DEEP dwellers and are rarely seen within recreational diving limits. They’re spotted in the Seattle area more than any other place. The most popular place to see them in Puget Sound is Cove 2 in West Seattle (near Salty’s).

We have seen many Dogfish in the sound. A good friend came across a large Salmon Shark. Very often they are mistaken for Great Whites because they look similar. They follow the salmon into the sound at spawning time.

Wade

Sharks are there…
whether you see them or not