Shipping boats suggestions

good experience
Our Mowhawks arrived in Rockford, IL (from FL factory)in fine shape. They were wrapped in cardboard. Had rope grabhandles. These are Royalex boats, so they stand up to some abuse. But we had no scratches or dents. Make sure you open the packages and take good pictures before you sign and pay. Ours were shipped by truck and we picked them up at a local terminal. Cost about $100/boat.

If you don’t want to chance shipping, see if a paddling club has someone driving your way. That has its pluses and minuses, but it’s an option.

Recently

– Last Updated: Mar-08-04 10:30 AM EST –

I recently purchased a canoe from Mohawk Canoe in Florida & had it shipped to Missouri.
Mohawk did a very good job of packaging the canoe in heavy cardboad and bubble wrap.
The bubble wrap was taped so that it would not come loose from around the canoe. The cardboard box was stapled together & also secured with heavy, nylon cord.
They also placed styrofoam blocks in key spots inside the box, so the canoe would maintain it's position & not lay close to the cardboard.
After all that; the shipping company still managed to puncture the box, and put a ding in the side of the boat. It was nothing I wouldn't do to it myself on the river, and I accepted the boat, but I would never ship any boat I was remotely concerned about in bubble wrap & expect it to arrive undamaged.

BOB