Shoe advice?

I use half a z-rest pad in the cockpit under my feet. My footwear changes. Sometimes I’ll wear neoprene socks. Sometimes neoprene boots. Sometimes bare feet (I don’t recommend that). The bit of foam in the cockpit under my feet help keep the circulation going in my feet by padding under my heels no matter what footwear I choose to use.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have the same issue with my knee high and ankle high boots. Great footwear for paddling until they get water in over the tops and you’ve got that squish-squish for the rest of the trip until you can take them off and dump them out… Adds an extra burden in a swim too, to have your footwear fill up…

As I mentioned in my long-winded endorsement above (which I can’t blame anyone for skipping past), the JBU Tahoes do a very good job of keeping gravel and grit out with the snug neoprene around the top and the multi-layered fine mesh of the shoe body, while draining water quickly. And they are much easier to put on and take off, even under water, than any of my other numerous models of water shoe.

A piece of foam under your heels in the boat is a good idea. For my day to day paddles I mostly wear NRS kickers, but for the Everglades Challenge I have struggled to find shoes that work well for the situation - they need to dry quickly (no neoprene), work with the rudder pedals and also provide my feet with enough support in and out of the boat (I use orthotics on land). Chacos fit most of the parameters but the straps do get abrasive after several days of being wet in saltwater. I have tried other croc-like shoes and they either don’t have enough arch support or rub my feet causing hot spots (my biggest physical issue during the EC this year was my shoes rubbing my feet raw in places. Waterproof Bandaids to the rescue.)

I struggled with all of my shoes specifically on my Achilles tendon. The high heel tab painfully dug into my heel with the angle my feet are set in within my kayak. I tried water shoes but found them too flimsy for the support my bad feet need on land. Then, I tried my Allbirds Tree Toppers and they worked great. The heel tab is soft wool-lined fabric that flexes. They have plenty of ventilation but not enough to let lake goo in. And, I can throw them in the washing machine if they get dirty. Perfect!

I also have an 11 year old pair of Adidas that are on there last foot so to speak. :laughing:

I have an old pair of NRS neoprene high tops that are about the same age and showing wear, but still good to go.

I will be replacing the Adidas soon.

I also have a pair of Sperry plastic Float Boat Shoe I wear with fast drying thin nylon socks.

Men’s Authentic Original™ Float Boat Shoe - Men’s Boat Shoes | Sperry

1 Like

I wear these. They have been excellent.

In the cold water I can wear them with a thick set of wool socks or some NRS booties, but for most of the season I use the Xeros

Does anyone else get the heebie jeebies with shoes that have laces or bungee on an enclosed cockpit kayak? I saw someone get the bungee on a pair of Keens caught on the footpegs during a class - he was doing a wet exit with an instructor standing right there, so best case scenario, but that turned me off of wearing anything with laces in my kayaks.

That is one of the reasons I like these:

Men’s Aqua Socks | West Marine

I can remove the bungee laces (I cut them off, no need for them anyway) and they still fit well and do not come off for the conditions I paddle in.

Yes! No laces or bungees for me.

I’m more concerned with getting my shoes sucked off. I went to higher top astral rascal when my low cuts (brewers)were getting sucked off in the mud. I was also concerned i would lose them during a swim. Unfortunately the higher tops dont like to stay tied. I’ve resorted to using a square not and then looping the ends. They are also harder to put on. If i wear socks with them i get less gravel.

Yes, shoelaces can be a hazard when they wrap around foot pegs. For me, the bigger hazard is losing the shoes and having to navigate the rocks or boulders along a shoreline or portage trail. I consider shoes an essential item.

I like booties in cold weather, pay a bit more for thicker soles.

Waterproof sandals from Keen.

I wear Keen Waterproof sandals. They have bungees, Never an issue, if you double tie the bungees after you pull them tight.

My keen sandals catch a lot of gravel perhaps you are wearing a more enclosed model sandal. I like sandals because the give my feet a chance to breathe but i’m always dissapointed with their performance walking or wading in the river or scrambling on rocks- tried tevas, alps, and keens

Interesting how threads on hats, gloves, snacks and shoes have generated a lot of discussion. For me, learning what others have tried and liked (or not) when it comes to this sort of thing is really helpful, and it’s a good reminder that getting the details right can make a big difference in terms of on the water enjoyment.

1 Like

I’ve mentioned it in previous ‘shoe’ threads, I use 2 pairs of shoes when paddling.

One to get me and kayak to the water, and one to paddle in.
I’ve got about a 1/4 mile walk to and from water, then across (depending on tide) either sinking mud or old oyster beds - both requiring a tight and tough shoe.
In the kayak, paddling, I like something very light and open. I use a pair of old (been out of business for many years) pair of Mion Ebb Tide sandals. I’m able to remove the sandals w/out having to remove the sprayskirt - which I’ll do a few times over the length of a long paddling day.

I’ve been doing this for many years, eg, when I used to do multi-month trips, at the end of the day, just prior to coming back in for the day - through the surf, I would stop and put on the ‘land’ shoes.

@raisins I usually do the same - Chacos to get to and from, NRS kickers (neo booties/shoes) to paddle. My launch sites are usually pretty dry but can be slick or have uneven footing. The Chacos do well and I can go in the water (and paddle with them) if I need to.

My big challenge for footwear has been the EC since I would like one pair of shoes to cover everything - in and out of the boat, around camp etc. But preferably something that doesn’t keep my feet wet 10-12+ hours a day for a week. Still haven’t sufficiently solved that problem.

1 Like

I thought these would be perfect but they let sharp small rocks in.

We paddle distances some times where we see a waterside place where we want to eat something and I’d prefer not to be sloshy or wearing a boot.

I’m hoping the croc style sandals will work for me because I don’t walk around much when I load the kayak and I prefer something for the rudder pedals.

I want to be able to kick them off in the water so my “flippers” work. We do like to swim off our kayaks and I think it’s great practice getting back in.

I had high hopes for these but I did hike Petra at night in them.

The Scubapro booties have been voted off the island :desert_island::-1:t3:

1 Like

I like the effect in the first picture.

1 Like

Those black things are tadpoles and the live version is very cool

You should consider lightweight water shoes with adequate heel and side padding for comfort. Prioritize breathability for extended wear during paddling sessions.