That’s pretty cool! Real nice job.

Thanks Brian
The photos hide some of the blemishes.

Jim

Nice work Jim
Maybe you should give up your day job.

Andy

If there was sufficient money in it
I would. Puttering in the shop is very theraputic.

Jim

Clever
And easily reversible, which, to me, makes the difference between ‘professional’ outfitting and truly inspired innovation.

also rates very high on the KISS scale
If canoeing were a bigger market, I’d be inclined to suggest a design patent.

Here’s what I like:

Reliable, Simple, Light and Elegant. Oh yea, removable too. But that’s dead last on my list of priorities. They ccould really be made light too (composite?).

Quick pins could easily be added to make adjustments fast and easy. I still like having a bailer attached to the bar right between my feet. No easier place to quickly and reliably access it, and right where it’s going to be used. But, this design is very tempting.

My order from McMaster-Carr Supply

– Last Updated: Jul-22-08 12:56 PM EST –

just got here via UPS truck.

SS quick pins with lanyards were among the parts I ordered. I considered making the plates from CF sheet, but the pre-made stuff was over $80 for 1/8" thickness. I could probably use 1/16" for half the price, but if these work well I may buy some CF fabric and laminate a sheet to replace the alu.

And Andy: If I give up my day job I won't have a shop to use over the weekends!

Jim

Ditto…
…on the use of lighter, more durable materials. Awesome prototype, though. I wonder if those old “Klemmie” cam-clamps might have provided some inspiration?

Jim, have you ever tried Sintra™ or other rigid plastic foam panel as a lightweight weather-proof wood alternative? I could send you some 1/2" thick black scraps, if you’ld like to try some.

Thanks
But my Magic is CF/kevlar with wood trim, so the ash I used will match as it darkens with age and applications of Watco Teak Oil.

I have heard of that product, but have never used it. I suspect it or a similar product was used to form the flotation chamber bulkheads in my boat (with a layer of Kevlar over top).

Jim