Shopping for a large volume sea kayak

Valley

– Last Updated: May-01-14 8:17 PM EST –

I had a "plastic" Valley Aquanaut HV that was a real nice boat. I wish I had never sold it. I liked the type of plastic Valley uses better than the average roto boat. Seemed stiffer to me, kind of a good compromise between what you usually see in roto boats and higher end composite boats. Kind of a best of both worlds. I'd recommend checking one out. It also was a skeg boat, so that sounds like it suits you as well.

Cetus HV
The Cetus HV is a good boat that would probably fit you well, but it’s only made in fiberglass. (Other options have been plastic, or at least available in plastic).

The plastic cousin of the Cetus is called the Scorpio. The larger of the two sizes is definitely not large enough for you though, so scratch that one off.

I haven’t tried a Jura HV yet, as it’s brand new. Worth a try. It’s a bit shorter and wider than most of the options you’ve heard so far.

Nate Hanson

www.PinnipedKayak.com

Sirocco
I’ve had a Sirocco for about 8 years and I second the comments that gave a gold star to the boat. CD uses a single layer poly, and I have no complaints about that aspect of the boat.

Now–for a 270 pound person, it is going to depend on where a lot of that weight is. If its in your trunk, you probably aren’t going to fit the seat that comes with the Sirocco. I’m almost a hundred pounds lighter and my rear end is not large and if the seat were one centimeter narrower, it would be uncomfortable.

If by chance you end up with a Sirocco, there are three things that will probably need attention right away. The tape that surrounds the faux hull/deck seam comes off right away unless you stick it on better with water proof glue. I used silicone sealant. Number two is to replace the bungees that hold the back-band up with a larger size. The originals are worthless. Number three is to change the original deck bungees to the next larger size. These three minor irritations are very easy to fix and why CD would not do these upgrades to begin with is perplexing to me.

I know of a shop that has two brand new Boreal Design built 17’-4" Vaags that are on closeout for $2600 each. You grab one of those up and if you don’t like it, I’ll trade you my already modified Sirocco in better than new conition for the Vaag.

Or, demo another Etain 17-7
at The River Connection, Hyde Park, NY as it doesn’t take a lot of convincing to put the Gone Paddling sign on the Showroom door.

Sorry J, had to plug in.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-conneciton.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

Still going…
So it looks like the Jura has checked in on this list. It sounds like a great boat. I am leaning towards longer, but I think the only point I’m absolutely tied to are plastic construction. The security lock sounds a brilliant feature.

There are Venture dealers scattered around the area, so I should be able to try one out shortly.

The Sirocco has also come back. Their website claims the boat is best suited for the Medium to Large paddler, but while taking a second look due to all of the comments this week, I see a reference to 375lbs max weight, and a lot of reviews from larger paddlers who liked the way she floats. I’d have to say the Sirocco is back on the list.

Aquanaut sounds a little harder to find, especially in plastic, since they are no longer in production.

That said, here’s the list as it stands:

Prijon Kodiak

CD Sirocco

Valley Etain

Wilderness Systems Tsunami 175

This week has been bizarrely busy so I haven’t done as much research as I’d like, but it is coming along.

As far as the battle of distributors go, I solemnly guarantee that I will demo any boat that is mailed to me!

Cheers.

Standard warning
When you buy any polyethylene boat–no matter who builds it and whether it is new, or used, be sure you check the keel line for straight from end to end. Not talking about rocker, or lack of it. Just be sure the boat is not bent. Do not accept a boat that is warped. Also take a good look at the deck to be sure it hasn’t gotten hot and slumped.

Sadly
– or maybe not so sadly – all my weight is just above the beltline. I suspect it’ll work, insofar as I would actually be wearing the boat. I have a quite fun car that fits the same way.

el C

Thanks a lot
I’ve heard that before, so it was something I already had in mind. I do appreciate any suggestions and assistance I can get, though.

Oversight
I forgot the Jura HV on my shortlist, but it’s there.

review of Jura performance
I found this on the water review of a Jura on the Venture web site:

http://www.venturekayaks.com/news/

Sounds like a pretty nice boat (though you do have to account for the paddler being a Venture test pilot.)

Volume
Just a note on sizing, I find at 275lbs I look for boats listing 400+ liters volume. That seems to give me a good waterline. I’m curious why you cut the plastic Baffin off your list?

Baffin P3
I’ve found no negative input on the Baffin, but, really, no positive input either. Given the opportunity I’ll certainly try one out.

Thanks for 400 liter suggestion. I’love see how that fits with the boats I’m looking at.

Baffin C3
I rented a Boreal Designs Baffin C3 a few weeks ago for a course, 5 days in the back country on the coast. My usual boat is a P&H Scorpio and I am 6’2" 215 lbs.

I can’t say I thought about the boat much since I was focused on the course material, but I can say that it fit me well, swallowed up my oversized camping gear easily, and had no real handling flaws. It did seem difficult to make sharp turns when edged, but I suspect that was more poor technique and rearward trim rather than the boat.

I am uncertain how it would fit you; I did not feel that it had extra width to spare in the cockpit, nor did it feel too tight. Length should not be a problem.

BTW, the skeg rides up when run over shallow rocks instead of getting kinked. The skeg adjuster is cool and easy to use.

Soft rubber hatch covers kept almost all water out of the compartments.

Hope this helps.

KP

This has been illuminating
but it’s also been frustrating, because there are so many good boats out there that I have ended up with a list longer than I had expected.

The only sensible way forward is to start demoing kayaks in the area (and possibly as far afield as New Brunswick) and take notes on personal preferences. With that in mind I’ll be asking for advice in a different thread.

Thanks for all the above insight!