Shopping to Upgrade my Commuter Kayak, Ideas?

I went to look at these after your recommendation. They certainly look interesting, though they do not ship to me online and are out of stock at the local store (2 hours away).

I will definitely keep a look out for one on craigslist. I don’t like the idea of heavy weight.

I do like the weight capacity. This seems in line with other canoes I’ve looked at like the Old Town Guide 147. I wonder which one would be faster between these two canoes and a Hurricane Santee 126 kayak?

the smaller lighter boat might be faster but that depends. I think you are seriously too big for the Santee. When you are too big for a boat it will ride low and be slower and more unstable. And you will not be able to haul much in one tiny hatch with a 10" opening. That is a day trip rec boat not meant for speed or cargo. Zero room for an ice chest on the Santee.

There are reviews of the Santee 126 on this forum by owners. But it just does not compute as a boat for ferrying a large guy plus goceries.

Santee 126 Reviews - Hurricane Kayaks | Buyers' Guide | Paddling.com

Just keep in mind OP is wise to keep weight is an issue. Not everyone needs a 18lb full carbon $10,000 outrigger canoe (or OC) but I read somewhere that generally speaking the heavier the boat the less it will tend to be paddled.

I lift weights, excercise like crazy. I am not super strong but for my weight (all of which efforts areo to keep it as low as possible vs get big/strong) I do pretty well. I am certainly a lot more fit than I was 5 years ago. I find carrying my inlaws WIlderness Tsunami 125 at their house absolutely obnoxious and can only do it safely on smooth terrain for short distances; it weighs 53lbs. There are definitely stronger people than I for sure but I can hold my own. And with everything I do if I cannot stand to and can barely carry a 53lb boat keep that in mind… YMMV. Maybe some people enjoy carrying a heavier boat.

Also longer boats of the same weight are harder to carry due to moment of inertia. Just turning, moving and carrying puts so much more leverage vs a shorter boat. So a boat of the same weight that is a couple feet longer will be harder to carry. Just something to think about and maybe try before you buy.

A cart helps hugely but not all paddling locations allow you to get a cart close to the water. Some beachest or rivers or lakes have fences or rock walls or just very rocky terrain where carts are impossible so while a huge leg up they are not a full solution, it all depends on where you want to put the boat in.

He seems to be indicating a point to point commute over water – his parameters are a little unusual. He’s a bigger guy and wants some speed and a LOT of cargo capacity (hauling groceries). And has a modest budget. The bulk of his cargo kind of makes a short SINK a bit impractical (he carries perishables in a cooler.) I suggested the heavy OT canoes with provisos as a possible options. I love my sleek lightweight boats but I did enjoy that clunky plastic canoe during the years we shared it. And if I had to transport a lot of bulky stuff I would definitely prefer that boat, It was 7" narrower than our OT Guide 160 canoe and had several inches of tumblehome, therefore could be propelled with a 240 cm kayak paddle.

So, on my paddle back to town today (for work), I thought about what everyone was saying on this forum and it got me wondering. Why is there a difference between how my Sundolphin behaves verses how a Hurricane would behave? If they are the same length (12 ft) and nearly the same width 30.75 (SD) vs 28 (HS). Does 3 inches in width really make that much more difference for stability?

Also, why would the HS be too small of a boat if it’s weight capacity is 350 lbs? I realize gear could be a problem if I was packing it in, but lately all I take across is a few small bags of groceries (only one eating) and a small backpack. Most of my clothes I keep at camp now. If the SD’s weight capacity is 395 and the HS is 350, but the HS is 14ft, wouldn’t that average out?

I also looked around my area for rentals or shops. Most are rentals of SOTs. The closest outdoor store is 2 hours away and they are no where near a body of water to test kayaks.

Also, this is all theoretical at this point. I got an email back this morning from the owner of the HS and they already sold it.

Is it the awkwardness of the boat? I have a few that weigh more and find that I have to be in the absolute center and then it can still teeter totter on me …you have to get a system down…

why don’t you just drive to work?

When I was looking for boats I found somewhere that a paddlers weight should be 60% of total boat capacity. I am the same weight as you just a little shorter. I found that if I stayed with high volume kayaks and larger solo canoes they are more efficient( with my weight). If you can find a composite or thermo formed plastic they are heads above the rotomolded or plastic boats. Fiberglass can be good also, cheaper but heavier.

That was a good one!

I do drive to work but I first have to paddle. I have property on a lake that has no road access. It is surrounded by state, fed forest, and private timberland.

1 Like

As for fiberglass. I had an old style fiberglass kayak sit in when I was in my 20’s. I think I got it from someone in the local paper for $50. It was okay. I was living on a river then and the first time I ran up on a rock with it it cracked the bottom. I, of course, had no idea what I was doing. I’ve seen a few composite advertised but not thermo formed. I’ll have to look that up. I’ll also keep the 60% figure in mind as I’m searching. Thanks for the tip.

Instead of buying a kayak, you should sell me your property; it sounds like heaven.

Yeah, I just happened to luck out with the property. Found it on craiglist one day. It shares a property line with a private timber company stretch of land that contains a small valley, about a mile in length. There are no serviceable roads down to it and the top ridge road (which is getting worse every passing year) has a gate on it. It only opens to hunters (I think they have to request permission and pay a fee) a few months in the fall and the brush is so thick that no one can drive 4 wheelers down. I think they just drive the road in hopes of getting lucky. In the winter I can hear elk calling out just before sunrise. The herd comes down and sleeps in the valley. I’m also often serenaded to sleep by a symphony of frogs that take turns - first chorus the frogs in my little bowl, next chorus, frogs in the valley, etc. There are also several owls that spend time talking to each other at night. One will hoot on my side, then another on the other side of the lake will answer back. There are also a few bald eagles in this stretch of wilderness and dozens of osprey and fish hawks, and of course huge buzzards that like to sit in trees and on cabin railings and spread out their wings to dry themselves in the wind. Then winter comes around, the stars come out, the air chills, and then silence falls on everything.

I have trails all over my property and the adjacent valley where its just me and my neighborhood wildlife. None of the other cabin owners on my stretch bother to leave their cabins (if they show up to the lake at all), let alone venture out into the woods. Most of the cabins built on the lake are never used.

When I was a kid, my parents had a cabin on the same ridge (opposite end) and I would spend early mornings out in the canoe, paddling in the fog, and then the rest of the day up in the forest. My dog and I would drink from the same creeks and would bound through 6ft tall patches of ferns and sneak up on deer just to see how close I could get to them before they got wise and ran away. I’ve never ran into anyone else in these woods that were not on a main road in an ORV (only once). The neighbor kids across the way don’t even get into the water anymore or take their kayaks or paddle boards out. They either just sit on their dock or go back up into their cabin and watch satellite tv. It’s a shame how much they’re missing, but that just means the forests are left me to explore. :wink:

I am in the process of turning my little patch of land into paradise. Plus, there’s nothing quite like laying in my hammock late at night and watching the little wood stove fire burn bright.

1 Like

You just made it worse, I’m officially jealous.

1 Like

I could try to list some negatives, but there are few if any. It does get cold in the winter time, but I’m talking maybe 25 degrees F at the lowest. There is wind and a few storms every winter. Trees fall regularly, which make a terrible mess, but typically that just means firewood. Most of the time its in the 50’s and 60-70’s in the summer. Fisherman seem to be the worst tresspassers. Along with teenage kids. Then again, I’ve only caught 2 in the five years I’ve had the place. One on my trail cam and the other in person because they thought I wasn’t there (I never knew that was a valid reason to tresspass).

But, unfortunately, that’s about it for the negatives. The positives far outweight.

2 Likes

What about a tandem kayak but use it as a solo? I was looking at a Necky Kayak Manitou 2 that has a weight capacity of 475 lbs and the front hatch could be used for carrying gear? I’ve never been in a tandem before. Do the ride any differently than a solo kayak? Would it be faster than my sundolphin? The NKM is 14.8 ft.

where are you ( not specifically but general area) located? Sounds too good for a lot of us…The temp range crosses a bit of my knowledge out…

I’m in the pacific northwest but on the coast. About a mile from the ocean. I can actually make the day of it and paddle to the ocean from the lake if I wanted to. At least I used to be able to. Not sure if the creek is still clear anymore. It’s a lot of paddling. I think the one time I did it I was in my early 20’s.

What kind of temps are you familiar with? Warmer? Colder? Living on a tropical island? I considered moving to Hawaii but I really think they’re going to kick all the tourists out soon.

Okay everyone. I have a lead on a Necky Kayak Manitou 2. It is 14.8 ft long. Weight 79 lbs. Has a weight capacity of 475 lbs. Is a tandem with adjustable seats. The rear seats can move forward so a paddler can go solo. Price is $650.

Here is the specs:
https://www.rei.com/product/736742/necky-manitou-ii-15-tandem-kayak-with-rudder

Owner says it’s been used 15 times. No leaks, repairs, scratches, dents, etc. It has a removable rudder on the back. Some sort of plastic construction (Linear polyethylene). Lots of storage room in the rear, water-tight hatch. Much more storage in the front cockpit. Even more storage in the rear cockpit either in front of the paddler or behind the seat (depending on where the seat is positioned).

Reviews say it tracks really well with or without a rudder.
Reviews say it is quick on the water.
Reviews say it goes quick and maneuvers well with just a solo paddler, though a few said the opposite.

My thinking is there would be plenty of room for my small ice chest, for hauling supplies, gear, etc. The weight capacity of 475 is wonderful.

Some reviews mentioned it was difficult to turn sharply, but other reviews said it turned on a dime. There are turns on my commute but none that are sharp.

My biggest concern is speed. I would hate for this thing to end up being a tank in the water. I realize if I load it down it will move slow. But with just me and a small ice chest and a bag or two of groceries, do you think it will be a big improvement on my sundolphin?

The other concern I have is the weight of the kayak itself. At least for the next year I will be transporting it on my car and moving it from the car to the dock and vice versa. I have a cart that works well on my sundolphin. Getting it loaded or unloaded from or onto the car could be an issue since I’m always alone. I do not have a roof rack, so I’m thinking I can attach the V form supports under the kayak while on the cart, then lift the front end onto the car from the driver’s side, then pickup the back end of the kayak and turn so its sitting on the roof. Then adjust as needed. Anyone see any issues with this. I’ve never lifted a 79 lbs kayak before. Not sure what I’m getting myself into. My sundolphin is 48 lbs and is easy to just pick up and put on the roof. This will be almost 3 ft longer and 30 lbs heavier.

Any thoughts?

Great Lakes region…-15 to high 90’s

I don’t have any experience with a big kayak like that, but at 28 inches wide I’d guess it won’t be very fast.

For loading, I’m a skinny wimp and couldn’t get a 79 lb kayak on a car by myself. But regardless, I’d be concerned about having that much weight on the roof just using foam blocks. That’s a lot of inertia if you have to slam on the brakes, and a lot of overhanging mass that will want to bounce and pitch on bumps. Plus, you may oilcan your roof, maybe making permanent dents.