Shops that let you try before you buy

That’s a good purpose of clubs…
…lots of boats to try.

Let see. White water warehouse in Dayton has Touring boats, Rocky Mountain Kayaks in

New Stanton, Pa, Atlantic Kayaks in Arlington, Va, Stark Moon in Md,

New england small craft

– Last Updated: Oct-22-05 10:47 PM EST –

Maine island kayak company, and any store where I would even consider buying a boat. Even bob smoth wilderness house. (I got way to much "attitude" from theri skiing and climbing guys to ever want to drop for a boat there will let you demo.

Charles River Canoe Kayaks fantastic, with unlimited free flatwater demo and you can take a class with a boat you want to buy and test it for an entire day in difficult ocean conditions. Tom bergh at Maine Island will let you do the same thing come to think of it. He just has fewer models.

try before you buy is greatly overrated
It’s been my experience that paddling a new boat is centered more on not damaging it rather than learning the boat.

you are, of course, absolutely right! NM

In Florida
Osprey Bay Outdoors in Clearwater, Florida. They are on the water and have a full demo’/rental fleet of pretty much every boat in the store. The staff will stop what they are doing to help a customer try out a boat. Demo’s are, of course, free.

Not only that, OBO will apply 3 rental fees up to $125.00 towards the purchase of a new boat and throw in a free paddling class as well.

http://www.ospreybay.com

Alabama Small Boats
Located in Helena,AL, just south of Birmingham. They’re on the Coosa and they don’t hesitate to let you try 'em out.

Dinghy Shop
I bought my Kayak from the Dinghy Shop in Amityville, NY because the staff let me try 5 different ones.

Try before you buy
If a shop won’t let you give a prospective purchase or two a real try, take your money elsewhere. My golden rule is “he who has the gold, rules”.

Walk on water.
Water Walker: www.touringkayaks.com

Mobile, AL - Pensacola, FL Area
Pensacola Kayak and Sail in Pensacola, Florida was great to deal with. Not only did they allow me to freely demo the model that I had been researching online, they also encouraged me to try other comparable models. They fixed me up with a boat, a PFD and a good paddle and even pointed out some local geography I might want to see while out on my tour. They were equally as friendly during my second visit where I demoed the same boats again just to make sure I was making the right call. They are located right on Bayou Chico just a few hundred yards inland from Pensacola Bay. They keep a modest amount of inventory at this location but if they don’t have exactly what you are looking for they have another location with hundreds of more boats to choose from in Fairhope, Alabama, 20 minutes or so east of Mobile. Unfortunately, this second facility is not on the water so they do not have demo capability. As best I recall, they sell Wilderness Systems, Ocean, Old Towne, Hobie and Necky. Call before you drop by just to make sure they have the exact model you’re shopping for available for a demo.

Cincinnati…
I’ll second D&D Outfitters in Cincinnati.

Dave is very helpful and you can demo boats from him on Thursday nights I believe.