should i get a pungo?

I thinking of getting the pungo 140 to use on Florida camping trips. I am going to test one out next week so things my change…when I sit in it and see how slow and bulky it is.

But currently I like the look of the pungo 140 because of the open cockpit and the cheap price. I currently use a fast thin ocean kayak but I hoping that I can find something that is a cross between a canoe and kayak that will not cost a ton of money.

I plan to make the seat removable and be able to sleep in the kayak if necessary In addition to add a rudder, more flotation in the front use a spray skirt and add a smaller bilge pump…Oh yea maybe a downwind sail.

If you want an open large cockpit,
look at Old Town’s Predator series. More than a Pungo 140 maybe, but lots of room.

Pungo…?
I have a Pungo 140. Great for rivers that aren’t too shallow. Tracks very well. Slow to turn without a rudder. I use my Pamlico 140 for skinny water but you sacrifice tracking. Think for your size the 120 series would be best. Might even take a look at the Old Town Castine or Castaway. Both are good for rivers and lakes or even protected bays and inlets on the seashore. Like everyone says, no one boat will fit all situations. Please don’t attempt to surf with any of the kayaks, especially if you’re new to the sport. Nothing beats being able to test paddle a boat. So, just take your time and try out as many as you are able. Enjoy the adventure of looking for your boat. It’s half the fun. Paddle safely…

Pungo in waves
I am totally not experienced now and I was even less experienced in 2003. However I was, near shore, but in some three to four foot moderate swells in Lake Huron in the Pungo 120 classic. I was being watched by my traveling companion who was on shore with his dogs.The Pungo seemed to handle the small swells well enough - but then I didn’t know enough to know what I didn’t know.

This summer the Pungo Classic and I were in an inland lake filled with Jet ski wakes coming in from all directions. Everything went fine, it felt very stable.

Now that I’ve learned a lot more, I think I will stick to inland lakes until I’ve learned more and have more skills.

sleeping in my pungo
i regularly tie up under a tree for an afternoon nap. simply loosen the seat back, scoot down a bit in the seat, and use your PFD as a billow on the aft deck. i usually dangle my feet over the sides in the water, but i’ve also crossed them at the ankles over the top. never tried keeping them inside the boat, though.

another sleeping option…i just purchased a nylon hammock and mosquito net. each bundles up and fits into an attached bag, ending up less than the size of a cantalope (sp?)…or maybe the same size, but more oblong.

Pungo 120/ Victory Classic 12
I just bought a Victory Classic 12, whick seems to be the same as the older model Pungo 120. I got this one, very lightly used (twice) for $180 with a 4 pc paddle. The cockpit appears to be identical to my friend’s pungo 140…huge! I just got it tonight, so I can’t report much, but the fit and finish is better than I expected, the seat is very comfy, I’m 6’ and 160# so I feel like I’m in the whale’s belly when in the cockpit, this boat will likely be used by our teenage kids, at least until I get it rigged as my fishing kayak!

As you can determine from the posts, untiligetanewsn, unless you plan to sleep in it, camp in it, fish from it, or give it to your kids soon, it would be foolish to get a Pungo. Simply insane.

Cooldoctor1…
I like the way you think!

Actually …
There may be better sleeping kayaks. The Hobie SOT with the foot pedals looks much more comfy for kicking back for a snooze and is an excellent fishing craft (if you can stay awake). :slight_smile:

Get the Pungo…more Pungos out there
than all the Prijon’s combined. The Victory (Pungo Classic)is still being sold at places like Dick’s and Gander Mountain at very reasonable prices. It’s one of the only rec kayaks that can claim such a long and loyal following. It’s always been a favorite for fishing because of it’s, stability, huge cockpit and dry ride. Any questions email me. It’s the only boat I still have in my origional fleet of 8 canoes and kayaks.

Ya Hoo

NT, you make a good point.
In Europe, as with Mercedes Benz and BMWs, the Prijons are huge sellers, number one frankly. Here in the states, because they don’t sell Prijons at Dick’s Sports, Wal-mart or next to the panty hose at CVS as they do for Pungos, they do not sell as readily as Pungos indeed. True.

They are selling Prijons here in town
at the mall, you get a free pair of pantyhose to match your kayak.

You put a rudder on a 14’ 54 lb. 25" wide rec kayak and you’re calling me a…Ya Hoo? Ya Right!

Whatever man What…ever.

Aren’t Prijons FRENCH Boats?

don’t forget how versatile a Swifty is…
My local group had a trip planned to the San Marcos last month. I thought I would have to forego the trip since my canoe was temporarily being stored in Arkansas, but my ever-faithful Swifty reminded me that many more adventures remained in that little boat. I’d forgotten how much fun I could have in a Swifty! Took some fun little drops and rapids in it…

http://community.webshots.com/photo/519110605/519113644xTrWhc

Oh don’t get me started on the French
and yes the Swifty. Texaslady has sold more Swifty’s than anyone on the planet.

Prijon is a German boat.

Just get one of each.
Problem solved. See how easy that was?