should I sell my kayak

If it were me…
…I’d sell the kids and keep the kayak.

Easy!

Do what you want
The others gave good advice. Here is another perspective. I have six children [4th grade to grad school]. I get plenty of use out of my kayak [and did even when they were small] because I get up at the crack of dawn, paddle and get home, often by 8:30 before they are even moving. if that is a possibility for you keep it. The kayak I presume is lighter and easier to get on top of your car than the canoe.

Agree with redmond
Asking this here is kinda like asking “normal” folks “Should I sell my left arm?” because you don’t use it all that much.

Think about turning into a nice planter. That would make a great conversation piece!

Jim

Sell it to someone who will use it.
Kayaks should be wet regularly.

Terrible to say but…
Your wife may take the kids and leave you…

In which case you probably won’t be able to go out and buy a new kayak and you will be very happy you have a like new one in storage. Keep the boat.

Sell it
Ask $2600 firm for it, and then you’ll feel real good about your decision and you’ll still have it when you want to use it.

Cheers,

jackL

my stomach just turned
selling a QCC!

I have a QCC600x and don’t get to use it as often as I want but my twins are now 13 and I’ve only been on the water in it about 20 something times this past year. But if I was only allowed 1 time a year solo, it would still be worth keeping it!

Look toward next year, is there a chance your spouse will turn around and say “I’ll watch the kids you paddle” or what if a new babysitter shows up in the area? My boat, or is it me, well one of us seems to come alive when the water wakes up. Even an hour out on the waves is enough of a rush to last a few weeks until I can get out there again.

And right now, with the lakes and rivers all frozen over, and my poor boat suspended from the basement ceiling, I still find myself looking at it and remembering the thrills and looking forward to next year!

Been there …
… Sold a few a after periods of non-use … young kids as well, so it is hard to find the time. But always end up getting back into it.

Things can change … probably didn’t get out on the water a half dozen times in all of '06, but do to a job change last spring, I was able to paddle at least twice a week just about all spring and summer this year while the kids were in school or at camp.

Guess it depends on how much you like to paddle …

keep it
The kids will grow up pretty quickly. You will eventually find time to go paddling again. You may even want to give your kids a chance to do some kayaking. When that happens, you’ll be glad you kept the kayak. Another thing to consider is that the price of boats has gone up a lot in the last 5 years. If you sell that boat now and decide you want another one in a few years, you’ll probably wind up paying considerably more than you paid for that one. Since it isn’t costing you anything to store it and it isn’t in the way, I’d recommend keeping it.

From reading your post, it sounds like
you resented buying it in the first place. You may feel better selling it but then, you’ll resent losing money on it. Which decision will be less painful for you?

best idea
starting three accounts with a 15yr horizon.

if you want to sell it
put it up for sale in the spring and charge at least 2500 for it—that way you can always tell your wife(who I suspect wants you to sell it) that you did your best to dump it without a big loss and nobody bit so you have to keep it.