Shoulder injuries

adaptive tools
Years ago I had a cast on my left arm from the wrist to the armpit – my best friend at the time was an occupational therapist and she gave me some kitchen tools that enabled me to do some things single handedly. One item (which she made) was a wooden cutting board with non-skid rubber strips glued to the bottom and two thick nails protruding about 2 inches above the surface. I could skewer a loaf of bread, a piece of fruit or a chunk of meat on the nails and the food would stay in place as I cut it with my one good hand. Could somebody make you one like that?

Depends on what else is injured
If the bone fracture wasn’t displaced, probably 4 weeks for the fracture to re-connect solidly. Longer for older folk, maybe 6.

The rest is just re-building the strength and STAMINA (the last a big problem after ANY injuries) Shoulder takes a long time to recover fully due to its complexity of movement pattern. (knees only go back and forth, wrist also rotate, but shoulder? All over the space!)

Ask me how I know. I thought I was fully recovered, my PT just show me some less common movement which I wasn’t able to do! This is 2 years after the injury! It’s too bad insurance tend to stop the PT coverage when people are only half way back.

Also, you probably won’t know if you have any soft tissue damage until the bone is heal. You’ll typically find that out during PT.

Good point on insurance

– Last Updated: Nov-29-15 11:48 AM EST –

I have had a variety of recoveries to manage, some quite major. The most important take-away I have gotten from them is that you have to push for as much recovery as you can physically tolerate (because it hurts) without creating too much scar tissue in the initial few weeks after an injury or surgery. Because insurance will stop paying for PT too soon. So push for all the motion you can within that first 4 weeks. Frankly, for major surgery I mark it at as low as two weeks for the big gains.

And I know that the therapists will be concerned about forming scar tissue. But guess what - if you pull a bicep trying to haul too big a bag of leaves you could create a little scar tissue. And there are ways to address it later on, for example many chiropractors have a machine now that recreates myofacial massage and does break up scar tissue with steady work. I know because we have been working on my bicep. It is about as uncomfortable as you can get, but with time and steady work it will resolve the problem.

Also, some people form it more easily than others, The only way to find out which one you are is experience. If you are someone who can preserve a lot of stretch in your muscles and tendons, you can go harder for the recovery.

Think I’ve solved that issue.
I hand mix and fold my dough (water, flour, salt & levain) using one hand. It takes two hands to form a boule - but only one hand to grab a hunk of dough, flatten it, and make flat bread on a griddle. Or, I could just form small rolls. That only needs one hand.

Thanks for that great idea about the cutting board; going to keep that in mind.

Lots of different ways and severities

– Last Updated: Dec-01-15 1:12 PM EST –

...of shoulder injuries. My experiences are below.

Shoulder separations on both sides in separate bike accidents, age 19 and later. I kept riding and toughing it out--not recommended because the left side injury never healed quite right. I allowed them no recovery time, which I regret.

Shoulder impingement on left side after a screwed-up roll when I had just started getting my nondominant-side roll. The paddle blade felt like it got caught on a snag underwater. Anyway, some rest and shoulder exercises prescribed by a doctor and, later, a PT were not enough to eliminate the impingement, so I had arthroscopic surgery about 15 months later. Follow-up PT and home exercises, plus 3 months off from paddling (it was ice season in CO anyway) allowed me to pick up again feeling 100% better.

Now, 7 years later, that left shoulder is messed up yet again. Almost 7 weeks ago I forced a morning stretch that bent my neck and caused immediate intense pain in the lower neck and made my shoulder blade feel out of whack. I thought it would go away within 2 or 3 days, but it did not. The pain subsided enough that I just kept waiting. We had just switched to a new (lousy) health insurer with high deductible etc., so I did not go to a doctor. Then, only 5 days after the neck injury, I crashed on my left shoulder. It hurt, but again I waited. The pain lessened, although my shoulder felt tweaked still. When the tingling began going down my neck and through that shoulder, into the chest and down to my fingers, I went to an urgent care clinic. X-rays showed no broken bones, so the doctor there, an orthopedics guy, gave me the green light to begin PT at a place I had used before and gotten great results from. They used a combination of electrostim, thermal, massage, neck traction, and exercises both there and at home.

The first session made more than a 50% improvement. I have had 6 additional sessions, resulting in much smaller but continued improvement. However, there is still some occasional tingling in the arm and the shoulder feels unstable. I was warned that I might need an MRI, and I suspect one is in my future, maybe with surgery. I am hoping to recover without surgery. We will see.

Believe it or not, a few days after the neck injury I paddled. That did not seem to either hurt or help. After the shoulder got hurt again, I waited a few days and paddled, which probably did hurt it, more from the carting/lifting than the actual paddling. (That was when the tinglingnstarted.) At that point, I decided to stop paddling until after getting treatment. The PT confirmed that I should not paddle yet.

About a week and a half ago, he said I could try a little paddling if it did not hurt or cause tingling. A week ago I did pool practice (29 days since the last paddle before that), and after a few minutes of tentative sculling and as much "paddling" as you can do on a small pool, I rolled. That went well. I actually felt as though the neck and shoulder were freer after that. The bad part was that I had helped someone carry a sea kayak around, and that did cause tingling. When I told my PT the next day, he told me not to lift more than 30 pounds yet.

So, at this point, I cannot get my sea kayak to the water without violating the lift restriction. But I will try paddling my WW kayak (in flat water).

Good luck in your healing. And keep us posted. Shoulder injuries are very common.

No displacement.
The x-ray guy pointed out a small line at the head of the humerus. Looked clean. The bruising below looks horrible, but on a positive note, very little pain, and I’m sleeping quite comfortably at night. Showering and washing my hair this a.m. was no big deal, but I credit core, balance and strength training for that.

Have never had PT, so no idea of the cost. Keeping my fingers crossed that (a) I can see an orthopedist tomorrow and (b) he/she will be as optimistic as I am.

Best wishes to you, pikabike
My travail sounds inconsequential compared to yours.

I guess we could play it “safe” and stay home instead of doing fun things like bike riding, paddling, hiking, or playing outdoors like a kid. That route seems like an incredible waste of time and opportunity (boring, too).

Be well and heal well.

Pain relief
At my first PT session, the therapist recommended Aleve over ibuprofen. I had been using almost nothing, just ibuprofen once or twice. The Aleve works better, but it is not for long term use. I bought a 24-pill bottle and took 2 in the morning, 2 at night, then stopped without the pain returning. Of course, I was going for PT also,

You sound like someone who would have the self-discipline to do the home exercises, so if your doc suggests PT, I think it would help you recover.

At least it isn’t spring or summer!

watch how you store it
I stuck plastic wine corks on the nails when I wasn’t using the board to prevent accidental impalements.

Picked up Aleve
tonight just to have on hand for PT. My plan is to request a referral to a sports physical therapist, after explaining to the doc my paddling plans and goals for 2016. If that doesn’t work, I know my family doc will do it.

First time I’ve been happy about the oncoming winter; gives me five-six months of healing and an important goal so I won’t slack off.

dog training
I love dogs, but they do need to be properly trained. Especially with a larger breed, the owners have a responsibility to correct that sort of behavior, even with a puppy. Hitting people hard enough to knock them down isn’t an acceptable habit – I hope they’ve realized that they need to get their dog under control. A trained dog is a happier dog and one that doesn’t put itself and humans around it at risk.

ugh, sorry to hear that
My only experience is with tendon and rotator cuff damage. Even then I was back in action within 4-6 months. PT was essential, go as easy on the pain meds as you can comfortably. The effectiveness of one NSAID over another can be individual: what works best for someone else might not work for you.

Make sure you tell your PT the level of activity you aspire to and what you like to do. Also, next time don’t leave the ER without making sure your scrip can be filled, if they can’t fill it there (I’ve gone through the same thing enough times to make a note of it).

Get well. At least it’s not May!

Speed bump

– Last Updated: Nov-30-15 9:18 PM EST –

Thanks, SP. Saw an orthopaedist this morning. More x-rays; official diagnosis of 2-part nondisplaced fracture of surgical neck of left humerus. He prefers nonsurgical treatment as do I, but he wouldn't rule that out at this point.

Sling replaced by an elastic shoulder immobilizer. Sort of like wearing a corset around your chest, but at least the sling strap that cut into my neck is gone. Asked the doc about soft tissue, ligament, muscle injury; he shook his his head and said no, then lectured me about what I may not do for the next two weeks - which is everything except being docile - because I looked too energetic. ??? Had to rent an auto tranny car. :(

He wants to see more callus development by my next appointment, which is in two weeks, so will work on getting at least 75 grams of daily protein, lots of milk, etc. Comfrey was suggested by a friend, but I'm not sure how safe it is.

PT will be ordered, but not yet.

WaterTribers sometimes remark that the difference between an ordeal and adventure is attitude. I plan to treat this as just another adventure and an opportunity to learn new things about life and myself.

Back to the office tomorrow..

Proximal humerus fracture

– Last Updated: Nov-30-15 6:35 PM EST –

A fracture of the surgical neck is about the best proximal humeral fracture you can have. The joint space is uninvolved and significant soft tissue co-injury is unlikely. Even if the fracture heals with slight misalignment, the range of motion at the shoulder joint is such that it is inconsequential.

Once your orthopedic surgeon clears you for physical therapy it will be important for you to follow through to avoid a frozen shoulder, which is a not uncommon complication of prolonged immobilization.

I would steer clear of poodles in the future.

whew
Not to marginalize it but it sounds like it could have been worse.

Personally I approach injuries the same way, once I’ve indulged myself in a few hours of self-pity…

Identical to the fracture I had
That’s good news (relatively speaking). It’s exactly the same fracture I had so I still think your full recovery prospects are good with diligent attention to the PT protocols.

Eliminate coffee and cola type pop while healing. Both caffeine and the phosphoric acid in colas inhibit calcium absorption.

Eventually you will probably want to pick up one of those microwavable gel heat packs to warm the shoulder before the stretches and strengthening exercises the PT assigns you.

A Little Side Bar on Aleve and Advil…
…if you will. Looks like you’ve received lots of good advice, including NSAID use? I too much prefer Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) and buy the gelcaps. But remember, Naproxen and Ibuprofen can be hard on the kidneys so stay hydrated. This year I was taking two Aleve twice a day when I had pneumonia. Ended up in the hospital due to not only the pneumonia, but acute renal insufficiency to go along with it. The dehydration and Naproxen sodium teamed up to do a number on the kidneys. Four days of IV re-hydration and IV antibiotics and they kicked me to the curb, but it was a little scary worrying about the possibility of dialysis! So STAY HYDRATED while on NSAIDS.

yes
This is part of the reason why I wrote to take NSAIDS as sparingly as possible. Even then one should make sure to hydrate.

Agree
Personally I like dogs and have no issue with quite large ones wanting to jump on me in friendliness. But I don’t let them do it because it trains them in a bad habit. That behavior bothers or even scares most people. I live in a city so it is maybe more necessary, but it is a bad habit anywhere.

As result there are times when I am harder on a dog jumping than the owner on the other end of the leash.

It’s a relief, yes?
Now you can spend less time worrying about what it might be and more on doing things to recover.

I’m glad it was not worse. It’s always hard to see a fellow active person taken offline, because you just know how frustrated they feel.

See you on the water next year–it’s not that far around the bend!