Shoulder Joint Replacement

Shoulder replacement

I just saw this post adn thought maybe I could add another angle. I am a young pup (48) but had my left shoulder partially replaced 17 years ago. It was all due from various sports injuries. Since the operation I still am active in many sports (including weightlifting). I have a canoe and paddle a canoe with no problem. In fact about the only thing I really lost was some strength in the shoulder but I was still able to lift quite a bit of weight over my head once I got back in the swing of things (after PT and time). Now my other shoulder is about gone and it also needs replacing. I have been holding on for a long time but I am going into the 2nd replacement with a good frame of mind because the first one worked so well. The only difference that I am seriously considering is trailering my canoe instead of picking it up and putting on roof rack. I have zero problem with normal paddling. The only thing where I really notice anything is picking up above my head. I did have to give up some items like snow skiing but I was ok with that given the freedom from pain.

Shoulder joint replacement
Hi just wondering how you went with your shoulder. My husband is facing same and wanted to know if you have been able to paddle after the surgery as he is a keen competitive paddler.He paddles flat water /marathon. Would really appreciate any feedback. Cheers Chris Roll ps we are in western australia.

Shoulder joint replacement
Hi see my post below. My husband is 69 and would really appreciate any feedback you could give about paddling/kayaking after your shoulder surgery !!

Hi! May 2020, so this may be a little late and I think the shoulder replacement technology has improved since 2015.

I had a hemi cap put in… essential a titanium surface was put on the head of my humerus (upper arm bone) and nothing was done on the other side.

If I had done the other side I understand I would be limited to 25lb the rest of my life… no go for me after 27 yrs in the Army and playing 2 sports in college… my life was very active until the last few years when the shoulder really go unbearable.

So I elected to do the hemi cap which would have no limitations I’m about 10 weeks now and have not been released yet for the gym but expect to be in the next 2 -4 weeks.

I go kayaking tomorrow and plan to continue to ramp up the weights with the expectation of getting back to at least 80% strength in that shoulder.

My surgeon who works on pro, college and special forces folks tells me I’ll be full strength in 6-8mo and by 12 mo I won’t even think about my shoulder .

The assumption here is that I will be exercising hard 4-6 times a week.

If you don’t do the PT you can’t expect the REAL recovery.

Feel free to email me directly at TWMDEAUX37 at gmail com

Shoulders and knees are the weak joints in the body that take a lot of abuse.

My brother has broken both shoulders and dislocated them. My uncle has had both operated on.
I was next in line for surgery after motorcycles, horse wrecks and ski accidents. I started doing physical therapy on my own. What really helped was range of motions exercises with very light weights. I started with one pound. and worked up to about 4 or 5 pounds. Throwing motion, rowing motion, stretches, holding the weight out in space and slow controlled movements. Over about 5-6 weeks my should problems went away. At home use canned goods. Slow methodical movements. Good luck.