Shoulder Pain

true
One has to get a referral from one’s primary care physician. A good thing to remind your doctor of is how active you are and that you want to continue to be active. Maybe a given for a 16 year old but still…

My comments regarding gym and muscle isolation probably should be tempered. I’m thinking of the development of some muscle groups at the expense of others. PT sometimes focuses on development of those complementary muscles.

Problem solved
I have just have returned from the doctors and he says its just a small strain on the upper back muscle and that my shoulders as just sore from the sudden increase of force because i haven’t paddled in months which the ache has gone now (1 day later).

i have been told to continue my training with light weights and to use pain killers before i paddle while the upper back muscle recovers.

i would like to say thank you to everyone who gave me advice.

Internet diagnosis,
and internet treatment suggestions should all be viewed with suspicion.

Even the old RICE advice has been called to question by up to date professionals.

If the pain persists, see your GP and be sure to describe your activity that causes the pain thoroughly - then go from there. If he sends you to PT, make sure the PT understands your activity thoroughly as well.

Boat stability
When i say i was using a stable boat it was due to the river being slightly flooded and an increased flow and i was just getting back into things after a winter out.

The boat is not that stable really as i was paddling a cougar (the boat- http://marsport.co.uk/racingcanoes.aspx?item=5&m=r&c=0)

which is stability 2/10 so it is quite un-stable and most of the time i paddle a plastex athena which is about 1/10 so these boats are really stable just more than usual

I think most of my technique is quite good as we have coaches and apart from by legs my upper body movement is good but not perfect but that just comes with time.

thanks for the advice

i am ok
I have paddled these boats last year with great fun and i am stable in them just flooded water so picked a smaller boat with additional stablity see post above about the boats used

Cougar 2/10 stabilty and plastex athena /10 stability - raced both boats in bad conditions

Direct Access at State Level

– Last Updated: Jan-25-16 2:30 PM EST –

"Direct access means the removal of the physician referral mandated by state law to access physical therapists' services for evaluation and treatment. Every state, the District of Columbia, and the US Virgin Islands allow for evaluation and some form of treatment without physician referral. However, many of those states continue to impose arbitrary restrictions on direct access, or only allow for treatment without referral under very limited circumstances. Be sure to check this summary of the various state direct access laws."

The referenced PDF summary can be found at: http://www.apta.org/StateIssues/DirectAccess/FAQs/

depending on your relationship with your
primary, it’s still a great place to start. They know your exercise habits and health history and can help keep you on the right track.

OTOH it’s good to know this option exists.

Change might be coming
My PT said in five yrs or so we might be able to go directly to PT.

Glad to hear that.
And best wishes for a great season of racing this summer.

injury
Well it’s good that there’s no big injury, but still if you’re not using your legs, you’re not using the biggest muscles in your body. Paddling is not all about upper body strength. Not even close.

If you’re not using your legs you’re trying to push the boat around with your butt, not a great way to move anything.

Bill H.

Fine: Do What the Doctor Says
For I saw the kayaks you’re paddling and perhaps 90% of us here probably couldn’t paddle any of them successfully. You’re quite advance to be able to do so and it is refreshing to have you discuss your pain on this site. But now, having a better understanding about your paddling activity, may I suggest the following:

1. Warm up thoroughly before doing your sprint interval pieces.
  2. Immediately after weight training, get in your kayak and go paddle easy and lightly for 20 minutes or so to refamiliarize your body with the stroke.
  3. For stability and balance, don’t neglect the gluteals, especially the gluteus medius.
  4. Install a swivel seat in your kayak.
  5. Use a Stairmaster machine to build up your shoulders (I got kicked out of 24 Hours Fitness Waikiki for doing so).
  6. And the ultimate weight trainer for paddlers has got to be KayakPro’s CatchForce machine, which I’m using now.

You might want to retract your post !
After reading the OP’s advice from the doctor.

I have noticed before that people give sound advice, and then you pick them up on it.

Guy

I notice you seldom give advice
Just attack those who do.

I’m glad the OP took my advice to seek professional help instead of just popping pain killers.

it was sound advice

follow my advice

but be aware a more serious problem like a torn glenohumerous or a congenital defect could be there waiting for an MD diagnosis.

A 16 year physique may hide that…see HS athletic deaths.

The wrong MD could hide a defect so RICE n think.