Shoulder, rudders, technique.

if no skeg or rudder…

– Last Updated: Oct-03-12 8:39 AM EST –

then then wind from the side to rear are the ones that will require corrective strokes the most. Corrective strokes tend to be add ons to other strokes like a sweep or a stern draw though yes I myself sometimes to something closer to a bow pry. If these are done imperfectly they can be hard on the shoulder. Not all boats have skegs or rudders and not everyone prefers to use them most of the time. So as you point out there are ways to mitigate the problem but still they commonly happen.

rudder/skeg
"…not everyone prefers to use them most of the time"

I thought the thread was about the benefit of rudder for paddler with compromised shoulder!

Just because it “can be done” doesn’t mean it’s better to do so. Given the fact of almost 100% racers uses rudder and almost 100% expedition paddlers use either skeg or rudder, I think the case is pretty damn clear!

As a practice and learning process, there maybe times when one doesn’t use them. But anyone who doesn’t use them when they’re available (i.e. boats designed to have them) is simply misguided.

“I thought the thread was about the benefit of rudder for paddler with compromised shoulder!”

Yes, this is why above I state that the use of rudders is good for those with shoulder issues because the corrective strokes may not be 100% perfect all the time and for some any imperfection can hurt their shoulders. Otherwise I was just commenting that others (without shoulder issues) may not happen to always want to use skegs or rudders much of the time (be that foolish or not).

what g2d said
I paddle a skegged Explorer and have shoulder injury issues (not RC). Much can be accomplished by a proper stroke and edging/bracing.

I prefer skegs over rudders and unless I bought a ski or an Epic, I’ll probably never own a ruddered boat. But I’d never say it’s not helping you in your situation to have a ruddered boat. Different strokes.