Side Slip / Hanging Draw???

Did some practice today…
I did some practice today in my other boat…an Avocet vs. the Greenlander Pro I have been paddling recently.

I found that with mixed success I could do it with either direction of heel. The one thing I did notice though was that if you lean toward the paddle side BEFORE putting the paddle in it seems to help you to get the paddle vertical more easily.

I also found that the Avocet is a lot easier to do this stroke with than the Greenlander Pro.

I am still working on it. Seems like for me the difference in a good execution and a marginal one is how I get the blade into the water. If I get the shaft vertical and slip the blade in the water in a neutral position and then slowly open up the blade it works great…but I find this difficult to do because of the awakward position. Find sometimes that it works if I actually turn my head and look at the paddle when I put it in the water.

I’m going to keep working on it. Any more advice is much appreciated.

Matt

Matt

Face the paddle
You may already be doing this - not sure from your last post. But you definately need to rotate your torso and face the paddle for this move, a twist rather than a sideways lean to that side.

It’ll make it much easier to get the paddle straight. And done with commitment, it often provides an excellent opportunity to practice sculling up.

BTW for 3 Star assessment
I would suggest you use your Avocet.

I did my 3 Star in my Aquanaut and though I wouldn’t say that I regret doing so, it would have been much smoother and easier in my Romany.

If you are planning to assess for 3*, it is very helpful to take at least one course specifically designed around the BCU 3* syllabus.

I got it!!!
Thanks for all for the help, particularly to kkayakk who emailed me with some great advice.

It took me quite a bit of practice and trial and error, but Ken’s advice was very helpful. The keys for me were these: keeping the blade in the water to initiate (as Ken recommended), leveling out the boat once you start the slip (as Ken recommended), ensuring I get full blade submersion, and practicing in my Avocet vs. Greenlander Pro as Jim recommended…MUCH easier in the Avocet…cake actually.

thanks again!!! That was the only thing I did not have down for the 3 Star asessment.

Matt