SINK vs. SOT

Tarpon 16

– Last Updated: Jun-23-08 4:34 PM EST –

"it depends on the SOT, the Tarpon 160, is the match for most equivalent sinks"

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/tarpon-160i

Compared to most SINKs, 28 inches is very, very wide.

Heritage use to sell a SOT that was close to a typical SINK in shape.

I'm assuming that Bohemia is talking about sea kayaks as SINKs, which are typically 21-23 inches wide.

Unless the the new person has particular fears of the water, there is no reason they have to start out in such a boat. There isn't any reason they can't start out in a typical sea kayak.

Keep in mind that Bohemia already has the SINKs.

"when I am tooling around the swamp, or surfing waves I love the tarpon, its NOT a surf boat, but still fun in the surf."

The Tarpon 16 looks like a fine boat.

Check out the Ocean Kayak 15’
kayak, it’s actually 15’4" and at 56lbs, pretty manageable.

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/single_kayaks/prowler_15.html

Prices on these run about $850-$900. (more for angler version) and some of the “big box” stores (and many dealers) give 15-20% discounts. Last year I picked up an Scrambler XT (12’) on close out for $370. after a 30% off sale at Sport Chalet. I was recently in the Sportsman Warehouse and they have a $50. off coupon on SOT’s, their Scrambler XT Angler was $499. and with the coupon $450…fine deal.

The SOTs are often wider
but there are a handful in between the 28" rec boats and the 19" wide surf skis that are not impossible for the first timer or too boring for those with a need for speed.

First day out I tried an OK Sprinter and (barely) kept it upright. At 21" wide, it’s a tippy boat for me though. I think another couple of inches would help. Recently started looking at topkayaker web site and found the Cobra Expedition at 18’ long and 23" wide. From other recent threads it seems there are a few SOTs that are close to what I am looking for.

I have no problems with the SINKs, but I occasionally have a little trouble getting my big frame in and out of them. Even the Manitou 14 didn’t have any spare room for my size 12 shoes.

I also like not having to fiddle around with footpegs that I can’t see and bags I put in there somewhere. I also like them on small creeks where getting in/out (on/off) of the boat can be a frequent thing.

jim

Schlepping stuff
With most SINKs, adding gear makes them more stable. Unless the SOT has significant in-hull storage, adding gear will tend to make it less stable because it’s adding weight above the waterline.

Not.
SOTs for carrying gear have hatches just like sinks.

it’s never too shallow to roll
It has nothing to do with sink/sot, just hopefully a useful suggestion in response to rolling in shallow water. Go find some shallow water where your head or back will be on the bottom and practice rolling up. If you can roll in deep water, you’ll likely find it’s easy to figure something out. This practice will prove valuable if you spend any time in surf. I’m sure with most whitewater paddlers these skills go without saying. In either case, it can make life easier, more fun, and can potentially give you another added margin of safety.

Sinks tend to have more storage

– Last Updated: Jun-25-08 12:26 PM EST –

Sinks tend to have more storage than SOTs.

What specific SOT are you talking about?

yeah but they are smaller and can’t
hold as much stuff—I can put 7 days of food, water and all my camping gear in my sink—I’ve never seen a an sot that could hold so much.

in shallow water surf
just be sure to wear a helmet if you think you want to roll. When I used to do white water there were more than a few times I was glad I had one on.

sink vs sot
My malibu xfactor can hold 7 days worth of gear, food and water. IT has tons of storage.

For me it was all about comfort and capacity. In our world, lets face facts, people are getting bigger. Some may not like to hear it,but they are. Not everyone is 160 pounds.

Myself, I am 6’5 400#s and a minor league football player. I had to find something that could handle my weight + several days worth of gear. I figured that would equate to 500 pounds. I also knew that you shouldn’t max out the weight cap on your boat. I talked to the local outfitter that I buy all my gear from (The Outdoor Source: - free plug)and they suggested a SOT. I was looking at a tandem sink that i could put a seat in the middle of, but they recommended for me being somewhat new to kayaking, that a SOT would be more comfortable (I have the strength to paddle it for hours with no problem), I wouldn’t have to worry about learning to roll, it would be more stable (Easier to get friends to go along. All in all, they felt that a sot would be best. They even said that knowing they didn’t have a boat that would fit. I did a ton of research and found the Malibu xfactor online at Cabelas and bought it for $1000 including shipping. It is working great for me. I had to buy scupper plugs to keep me drier, but it is a fun boat, I am having fun, my wife is now into kayaking (we bought her a used boat on craigs list - she didn’t need the weight cap issues like me). All in all, it has been a win win for the SOT’s.

Seakayak SINK holds more

– Last Updated: Jun-25-08 2:59 PM EST –

At 33", it's really wide!

http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayak_xFactor.asp

It looks like this has access to the interior of the hull for storage. It still looks like you'd have to lash much of what you are carrying on the back (something I'm not fond of doing).

http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayak_xFactor.asp

There is nothing wrong with SOTs.

well at 6’5" and 400 lbs

– Last Updated: Jun-25-08 9:46 PM EST –

I'm NOT going to tell you that your SOT is no good. Have fun paddling :)

Sot’s vs Kayaks
In a kayak, your entire lower body is in a protective chamber which keeps it warmer in cold water / weather but it is also below the water line. Being below the water line allows for more stability than being above the waterline for the same width craft. Being below the water line also allows for certain leaning techniques and bracing to be used more easily. I personally like the feeling of being in a kayak more than sitting on a slab. I always feel quite disconnected from the water on a SOT. A lot of people buy beginner SOT’s because they fear entrapment. On the other end it seems that paddlers who want to paddle fast often buy a SOT racer. I don’t think SOT’s are kayaks. They are slabs that paddlers paddle with a kayak paddle. If a person likes the feeling of sitting above the water, than to each their own. As far as more learning curve with a kayak?? - when a group of us do rescue duty at symposiums, the greater % of who we drag out of the water are SOTs.

So, I should call my
Manta Ray a paddling slab? How about a “cheapo plastic, foreign oil consuming, wide arse accepting, paddling slab?”

Fine by me. :wink:

“Kayak” seems so old fashioned anyway. “Paddling slabs” are the new fad!

jim

uses for both
Being a canoe fan at heart, I never liked being IN a boat, but at the time, the Manitou 13 fit my needs and after getting used to it, I was fine.

Looking into getting something in the unlimited class for racing, and I immediately was drawn to the surfkis versus the other options.

More boats!

– Last Updated: Jun-26-08 7:06 PM EST –

Everyone who is hooked on kayaking wants more boats!

SINK, SOT, surfski, whitewater boat, playboat, river runner, creek boat, fishing boat, camping boat, dog boat, fast boat, fall-off boat, fall out-of boat, rodeo boat, slalom boat, polo boat, workout boat, surf boat, marathon boat, inflatable boat, for-guests-only boat, for-dummies boat --

We want one of each! Maybe two of each! :-)

My SOT
My SOT has lots of storage. There’s the front hatch and behind me is a small hatch that has a…sock? You can put things in it w/o them falling to the bottom of the kayak, making things in there easily accesible when kayaking.

The rear of the kayak has an opening w/criss crossed elastic string which is great for toting stuff around. I’ve put folding canvas chairs back there and a small cooler.

I’ve only had my SOT since last September, so I’m waiting for warmer waters, because I will still practice self-rescue. I don’t think that skill is only for regular kayaks.

I did buy it for more stability to match my husband’s SOT which he bought a year previous to use mainly for dropping crab traps. He puts one in the front and one in the rear.

I know I may not travel as fast as a sit in kayak, but I don’t notice the difference since I’ve only rented those a few times over the years. Really, everyone has to buy what suits them and what kind of paddling they want to do and how much they want to learn skills which I think are more associated with sit in kayaks. I love my SOT.

-Capri

Jaybabs…if SOT’s are not kayaks
but “slabs” (your word), couldn’t a sink also be called a tube, chamber, tunnel, tomb, etc.? Lol. You should warn the various search/rescue units and lifeguards across the country who use SOT’s on a regular basis for rescue operations that they are using the wrong craft.

Technically
a kayak is a boat made of skin over a frame with single cockpit. Made of plastic or composite, it is a canoe. Surfskis are not kayaks and neither are other sit on tops. Not degrading any craft just splitting hairs.

Damn Straight

– Last Updated: Jun-26-08 11:38 PM EST –

that's why it's called the British Canoe Union...those Brits are always right.

Old Jay is paddling a Canoe.... well I'm off to surf my Slab again tomorrow morning.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2055151490060364997kbCqbW

Chuck a bunch of us are going Rockgardening Saturday AM (0630) in our tiny covered plastic canoes very early in LJ if you interested.... I may take a plastic slab just to be a contrarian.