SinKs without Spray Skirts

There are paddlers who swim
AND paddlers who WILL swim.

Don’t trust the weather, don’t trust the waves.

I use spray deck almost all the time and I still have the odd swim… With a solid roll.

capsizing

– Last Updated: Sep-08-09 7:05 PM EST –

As I improve, I capsize less in the same stuff, but I'm always pushing myself into harder situations, so dryness doesn't last long. If I'm never upside down then I'm not expanding my abilities IMO. I've never tipped in rough seas offshore (although I've had to brace hard to prevent it), but I have and do capsize many times while looking for fun in rock gardens and tide races. I've also capsized a few times when trying to blend a new stroke, or do a new maneuver a little too aggressively and making a mistake. Knowing how to roll reasonably well makes me willing to keep trying stuff like that, and I think that improves my boat handling skills.

went over today
Paddling my Thunderbolt today, leaned a bit too far in a turn and went over. Had my skirt on and it was the first chance I’ve had to unexpectedly roll. Came up on the first try (left side even!), put my glasses back on straight, and continued my time trial. Felt good, I was getting pretty hot.

Alan