Sit on type kayak ..advantages?

One?
:slight_smile:

I donā€™t think I want to count how many I have.

Just thinkā€¦
If you had to get a sprayskirt to fit each SOT, what a pain that would be.

So go ahead and indulgeā€¦have a few more :wink:

Seriously, I am casually keeping my eye out for a 2nd SOT. Something fairly narrow but NOT a ski, because nobody sells those around here. Doesnā€™t have to be long or a speed demon anyway. I just love paddling the SOT in hot weather but the Twister is too twisty on anything but calm days.

I am actually thinking about that kidā€™s SOT, the Kea. Probably too short even for my tastes.

My son has one you can test
Iā€™ve tried but my butt doesnā€™t really fit.

Small SOT fast to paddle, light

ā€“ Last Updated: Nov-10-05 10:32 PM EST ā€“

Have you ever seen a Wavewitch? I think cobra discontinued them, but Hunt Johnson sells fiberglass models he also sells a longer model is light and supposedly paddles fast; he has moved from hawaii to here in Encinitas I would assume that would make it less expensive to get one.

http://www.huntjohnsendesigns.com/

Thanks; Iā€™ll keep that in mind
Unfortunately, I have no plans to be in HI in the next year, but who knows, that could change. (Iā€™ve visited twice and loved it both times.) Definitely plan to return for more vacations, and Iā€™ll be sure to try out every SOT I can get my mitts on!

BTW, it was a short guided tour on SOTs in HI that made me decide to take up kayaking. We saw reef sharks, a sea turtle, and the most beautiful clear, light blue-green water. Paradise is no exaggeration.

Iā€™ve seen it on their website
Cobraā€™s, that is. The Hunt Johnsen site bogged down when I tried to load it so Iā€™ll try it at the library (much faster connection) tomorrow.

Maybe I should check the ads for a used one.

Argh. If I get something like that, Iā€™ll be wanting to move closer to the ocean even more.

Cobra Witch is pig slow as a cruiser
Better than most pure surf boats and paddles well enough to go out and putz around a little if you feel like it, but not what Iā€™d choose if surfing werenā€™t the main purpose. Huntā€™s longer boats are probably better, though.

Any time
The cost of living is way too damn high, but maybe thereā€™s a reason for that.