Skeg position in following seas

Precisely.
I’m a solo paddler so I’m conservative and move out of my comfort zone in increments.

I’d never consider tackling 3-4 foot waves without a good backup (preferably an instructor).

Not so much interested in surfing, but boat handling in conditions. I can read about it (that’s where the full skeg in following seas popped up), but as I found out, the words don’t always work. So, small steps in the wet world.

Do what you can to match speed.
One of the big things for control in short period waves is to do what you can to match the speed of the waves. When I have enough to get short rides between waves, I often concentrate on a few quick sprint strokes to catch a push from a wave, try to relax while I’m getting a ride, then quick strokes to maintain as the wave peters out so that the next can take me.

That is if you can get your boat riding for a bit between wave crests.

For directional control, if your stern pushes off a bit, but you still feel your kayak being pushed up to speed and surging forward, use this extra momentum for a quick corrective stroke (just enough to keep you running in front of the wave), and it will also help you stay between the crests and keep riding. Often times, if you let it surge forward, it will be slowed by the wave in front of you, then overtaken by the wave behind you, leaving you pointed the wrong direction and back to a slower speed.

2 footers against a current is usually enough to let me cruise along with the waves pretty well. In open ocean, 2’ waves aren’t usually enough.

As frustrating as those little stern pushes might seem in a following sea, it’s amazing how much faster you move than when turning around and paddling into it. Everything about paddling into it feels fast and in control - your directional control, the waves moving under you - but your speed tells a very different story. So I always try to remember to relax and not overwork it if I’m not catching a lot of rides, as I’m already making pretty good time with the wind and waves, even if it doesn’t feel much like it. If I can catch enough to keep up with the waves, I’m likely to work it to the best of my ability.

Also, I don’t worry about staying pointed in a perfectly straight direction towards my goal. There’s definitely a balance between fighting exacting directional control, and letting the following seas take you along. Too much attention on keeping your direction exactly pinpointed, and a lot of good pushes will be missed. As long as you have a waypoint to focus on, let yourself weave around your straight line with the rides.

no, I think you’ve got it right
Nothing wrong with working your way up and being cautious. And actually I think the real challenge is in the confused slop, not so much the bigger but surfable regular waves.

Thanks, CapeFear.
Printed your primer and will carry it on deck this weekend. Have done that before with some of the great advice I’ve been given here and find it helpful.

I launch from the deepest natural harbor on the Great Lakes. This year I started going north and once I get around the point, it’s more exposed but steadier conditions. No seawalls or rocks; just miles of sandy beach and a beautiful classroom.

Appreciate the help.

Skegs I’ve Used Are Permanently Fixed
In location directly beneath the cockpit of my surfski or point of maximum weight. The skeg or fin is usually no more than 3 or 4 inches deep, which I use to lock myself onto a wave and hold it, so it doesn’t break away. In the past (over 20 years ago), I’ve had skis that came factory equipped with moveable fins( 2 - 3 inches deep) that turned at the same time and in the same direction as the stern rudder, this way giving greater control in “Victory at Sea” conditions. Perhaps, instead of moving skeg up or down, I would shorten it and convert it to move with your stern rudder?

Sturgeon Bay @ Slush.
I’ve hunted for Petoskey stones there, but never paddled it. Where did you launch? Cross Village?

I’m taking a week off the end of August and plan to get up there with my kayak, but will be super cautious as I know the winds can quickly get tricky and treacherous in that area.

I think it was north of there
Haven’t been there this summer but the last two summers we spent time there. We came from the State Park campsite but I remember that Cross Village was about 10 minutes south of the big beach. Another 2 minutes north there was a parking lot and a pull-off to the beach. No ramp but a decent launch spot.

The first year we lugged our boats to the beach, last year we found the pull-off. But the beach was great to paddle in surf because it’s almost all sand and very gentle/shallow.

I’m hoping to get up there this summer…

Was directed to this site
for easy access.

45.645265, -85.039863

that’s the Cross Village launch
A fine spot to launch especially if you don’t want to make the trip further up to the beach.

But pull up the google map that the coordinates get you. Pan north on Lakeshore Dr, past Sturgeon Bay Trail. Where Lakeshore turns east and becomes Lakeeview is where the road access to the beach is. If you drive that way you’ll see the big sandy beach on your way, just after Sturgeon Bay Tr. and Lakeshore Dr.

We usually come across Lakeview/Gill Rd. from Cecil Bay rd, from the state park. BTW the state park beach is also nice for when there’s a north wind, nice and sandy with a few rocks here and therre.

Rookie: I found it here:
http://www.paddling.net/launches/showLaunch.html?lid=19238

Thanks, SP.
Added the coordinates to my map bookmarks. Will check them both out, starting at Cross Village. If that site is an easy launch, I’ll paddle five miles north and check it from the water.