Skeg vs learning to paddle

Again, for the paddling venues I enjoy, which the is rougher water stuff in rocks and surf, I personally prefer not to have a rudder on my boat. When I come out (wet exit) of a sit inside kayak, I am next to a water filled (100 lb plus) “log” bouncing around. I prefer to not have a protruding piece attached to the “log” that can be dropped on or pushed across my body by water action.

One of my initial kayaks was the CD Squall with a rudder. It was not a great surfer. I was leery of the rudder when swimming in small surf stuff but never got cut by it. I got rid of the boat because it was a lousy surfer but I don’t miss having to worry about a rudder in the surf zone either.

Couple of years later, I became a dedicated sit inside kayak surfer. Even these relatively small (7.5-8.5’ long) sit in side surf rides become very “hard to hang on to” when filled with water. It’s much harder with a longer sea kayak. As a result, I (and my wetsuit) have been cut by surf fins when getting thrashed around in the surf zone.

Again, my personal choice is just that - mine for what I do. Don’t construe my choice as making a judgement about yours or someone else’s skills or whatnot because of their preference and use of a rudder, skeg, or none of the above. YMMV and it is certainly your choice to make for what you do.

sing

If you are worried about the frayed ends of SS cable, the are other alternatives.

Dyneema ans Spectra are very good; they have very little stretch (either wet or dry), do not corrode, and have no splintered ends that look like some medieval torture device. They can be a bit harder to install because they have no inherent rigidity, but attaching a piece of baling wire to the ends of it can make it easier.

Ends of SS cables need to be cut 1/2" past swage then shrinkwrap it 1/2" past end of cable return.

Cable can’t cut you then.