skeg vs rudder

Sort of like…
cross controlling an airplane, it just doesn’t seem right…

Now some say rudders aren’t meant to turn kayaks…

yeah
what’s even more screwed up is Bike Brakes, they should mirror Motorcycle brakes but nooooo, I’ve had to reverse all mine so that when I just want the rear wheel locking up I don’t grab a hand full of front brake!

Ok, you got me there…
Yes, using forward and reverse sweep strokes I can turn my boat on a dime, which the rudder can’t - I just hate giving up that forward momentum!

Dannyb9
Thanx! Sounds like it oughta work (or obviously does since you’ve actually used it!) I would appreciate the photos!

If it works, do it
and ignore what all the “experts” say.

Ayerloom… was just about to say
that… Reverse the cables and try again… it will make ALOT more sense… don’t no why they come like they do. Easier for people to figure out at first?

maybe they are not for turning…
but they sure come in handy in narrow mangrove creeks when you want to take a drink whilst coasting along.

I only deploy on open water when wind is annoying me…which is often in winter.

A properly set up bicycle is normally
set up with the right hand controlling the rear brake. I wonder that bike assemblers are getting paid these days. Obviously not enough to hire someone who is competent.

No hurry
"I just hate giving up that forward momentum!"

That’s why, you see, I hedged my bet in my earlier post:

"I’m saying this with an assumption also that no one is trying to race throught the marsh. So efficiency or speed isn’t an issue. "

Happy paddling!

It depends
The euros do it right, the Americans for the most part “like” them backwards unless you ride Motorcycles too!!

“Normally”
>right hand controlling the rear brake<

For cycle-cross racing, the “normal” setup is left hand controls the rear brake, so as to free the right hand to lift the bike up over the hurdles.

reverse
patrick - the set up may have to do with the way aircraft vertical stabilizers are set up/work - just a guess

Skeg = Cruise Control
Have to disagree with your analogy. The skeg allows you to take your foot off the foot peddle more like cruise control in your car. The rudder keeps your feet engaged :slight_smile:

ok you win
You got me there!

I was basing the comparison on the set-and-forget aspect of skeg vs. cruise control.

boat design?
Looks like this turned into a rudder/skeg debate anyway?

Well, my thoughts if any are interested as it is raining like a waterfall and I got nothing else to do: as a slowly petrifyng fossil myself I sympathize but I think a lot of this discussion missed the issue of kayak design and the fact that some kayaks NEED a rudder if you want to make nimble turns and others don’t. I had an now departed Impex with all it’s rocker that made it so manueverable it had no use for a rudder. But, it did enjoy a skeg when following winds were an issue. I had before that an Eclipse in heavier poly with a rudder and it’s hull design made the rudder welcome. Now, I have a QCC 700 with a rudder in kevlar and although it turns well enough without the rudder it is light enough that the wind sometimes makes the rudder a handy asset. QCC themselves believe this is the best set-up for the 700’s design although they offer it in all three options-skeg, rudder, neither. And, one day I’d like to add a small sail for fun and that requires a rudder.

But my bottom line is that I think trying to discuss rudders vs. skegs vs. neither without considering the design of the kayak or, for that matter, the applications it may be exposed to the discussion gets a bit sterile.

Just some thoughts.

Don