Skeg vs Rudder

Yep, missed that one … Ruddery and
and skeggy are the terms I actually use when talking to myself.

Seriously, the designer has a hard choice when deciding / working on the aft keel section of the boat. A few square inches can define the boat’s performance in the wind with or without appendage.

Response
Already asked the paddle question - regarding Greenland paddles, and had lots of great feedback. And I am looking at a boat ie. the Impex, which has a skeg, not lookin at a skegged boat like an impex…so I guess i am choosing a boat i like just asking if there was anything I should know about skeg v rudder - seems its not that big a deal!

One that has both
skeg and rudder would be cool.

When you don’t need it retract the rudder.

By the way, Huki surf skis let you adjust the tolerance for the foot peddles. Pat at Onno Paddles makes the retractable rudder for them.

I’m guessing a lot of people don’t want one because most of the time you don’t need it and you still have to keep the rudder straight.

Rudders have a lot of advantages for different applications.

again?
rudders are on fast boats with fixed foot braces, skegs are on slow elf shoe looking boatsL paddled by folks with baby sealclubs or 2x4s… also just google “Skeg” problems. They tend to jam waaaaaaay more then rudders. I have TWO Qcc-700s one with a skeg one with out. i like the rudder boat much much better! when the crap hits the fan, you can keep both hands on the paddle and not have to fiddle with the skeg control. i dont know of any foot operated skegs. when conditions are variable with skegs you constantly have to tweak them. BTW the rudders with the “sliding” controls really suck. you cant brace with those.

Rudder requires coordination
I am not coordinated enough to use a rudder.

Skeg me baby.

and…
…reverse.

Oh it’s a big deal!
Oh,it’s definitely a big deal.

It is unusual to see so much restraint by the big mouths, me included.

I hope you have fun in your new boat.

True, it is a skill
I don’t know if you are being serious or sarcastic. However, it is definitely a learned skill to use a rudder effectively.

Do you like the boat?
If you like the boat, then take whatever is on it.

Skeg vs Rudder
Go to the Epic kayak web site and find out what Greg Barton has to say about rudders. Also the Chief of the Water Tribe is very knowledgable on the subject. Other posters have given most of the technical perspectives with or without their personal bias.

You can have a rudder system that has a firm foot brace. For those who race or just like to go fast the rudder allows for concentration on the power stroke without the wasted effort of correction strokes. Look at the go faster kayaks and see how they are equipped. Rudders!

I have lots of experience with both and paddle mostly with a skeg, but that is because I paddle a fairly rockered Brit boat. The skeg box also takes away valuable storage space in the stern compartment if you are a camper.

Rudders are ugly
Visually, rudders always stand out as an add-on appendage and have a visual distraction to the lines of the boat. Plus it forces rudder models of kayaks to make a blunt stern end which I find destroys the finishing lines of the kayak. I (and many) don’t like the spongy foot peg feel that rudders bring. I had a ruddered boat once and disconnected it because it made it hard for me to learn how to roll. If the visual aspect and soft foot peg feel don’t bother you, then it’s a good steering and correction device. If I was a racer, I would want a rudder so I wouldn’t have to lean the kayak for corrections or do corrective strokes.

I don’t believe it…

…it’s been almost 72 hrs and a skeg vs rudder

thread only has 30 responses, or did the moderators

pull a bunch because of profanity?

This is a subject that usually brings 'em out of the woodwork.

OK. I’ll start it. Skegs and rudders are for

weenies and shouldn’t be allowed on REAL boats.

Well I’m listening to Jay Babina
Purely cause if I had more money I would have bought an Outer Island! Just a beautiful boat!

also
skegs do and have the potential to leak. just check the archives.

shows promise…

…but needs more acrimony.

How about, “Every skeg ever made or installed will

make your boat leak like the titanic anyone who says

otherwise probably drinks lite beer.”

the Assateague is more versatile
Jesse, the OI is a speed boat.

Compare it to a Mirage 580 but with a skeg.

You probably will be happier with the Assateague even if it might be a tad large for you.

Customise the cockpit with closed cell foam to get a snug fit.

If interested I have a sail for your Assateague that will fit the existing fitting on the deck.

Gnarlydog

Build your own, JesseAU,
and it is way cheaper. My 17’ Outer Island stripper is a thing of beauty, light (37 lbs.), fast, rolls like a top and needs no rudder OR skeg. Thanks, Jay!

learn boat handling with a skeg
I think that rudders allow boat manauvering without leaning, thus you don’t learn better boat handling. If the rudder fails, your boat handling might not be adequate. My skeg has never failed nor leaked. but you do have to lift it up in shallow water. You would have to do the same with the rudder. Racing boats have rudders because their shallow draft doesn’t allow for much leaning .

Thanks
Gnarlydog you are in Brisbane correct? I would like to thank you, the footage of you surfing the assateague made me look into impex boats! Would obviously be keen for sail, how much? Any other old gear laying around…hahaha - seriously am interested if you have any old paddles etc you don’t use and need a good home!

Take care!

Jesse

kayaking versus paddling
your choice

Gnarlydog