skegs and speed, especially for QCC400

I like the 400
"She is not especially small - 5’7" and perhaps 160, so I don’t think she’s necessarily too small for the QCC400"

That is my weight and height. I like the 400 because I don’t like a tight fitting boat for FL paddling, camping and fishing. I have taken minicell and padded the sloping cockpit at knees (I did not get the thigh braces) and that provides the contact needed in rougher conditions. I love the boat and it is great for FL coastal and estuary paddling. Has enough speed for it’s size and is very efficient. I’ve been in some rough water (for FL standards)and the boat responds well.

The 400 does not need a rudder or skeg. I don’t like the skeg because it robs the stern of storage space for camping equipment. Also, in our very shallow estuaries the skegs on most of my friends boats get clogged with shell and sometimes they can’t deploy them.

The rudder can be deployed if needed on a very windy crossing but can be out of the way for most paddling situations. I did get the smart track and have not had any problems in 5 years of owning the boat. I do like a fixed foot peg system.

I think the 400 handles great with a heavy load and is very efficient even with 350lbs of gear. I can keep up on tours with all my friends in longer kayaks. The 600 is also very nice option if your wife does not intend to fish or take pictures or camp where a roomier cockpit is preferred. The 600 is more of a performance boat and is faster than the 400.