Sleeping Bags for Camping

Don’t forget to un-stuff your bags

– Last Updated: Jul-08-08 2:30 PM EST –

It sounds like some folks are considering compression sacks who have not used them before. Bags should not be stored in the compression bag--even though it would be convenient. Leaving them compressed can change their insulation properties. I believe this is especially true of down bags. (I own sythetic myself.)

Bags should be put in a larger sized cloth bag for long-term storage.

Risk Management…
…is what safe paddling is all about. We control what we can and try to be prepared for what we can’t.

We can talk about dry bags and dry hatches and their virtues and whether down bags or synthetic bags keep us warm when our dry bags and hatches fail. In reality, if we don’t assume that our gear will be wet in a wet environment we are in denial. Where do you live that that you can assume that water doesn’t rule? Our hatches and drybags may not fail but we might get our gear wet some other way. There is water everywhere.

So, where are the real-life testimonials from people sleeping in wet down bags and saying that they were warm? I can direct you to an account from someone who slept in a wet synthetic bags and was warm but nobody who woke up warm and dry in a wet down bag. Why is that? Where are you down bag supporters when it rains, the tide rises higher than predicted, you don’t get your hatch cover sealed properly, you capsize, your dog pees on your bag, whatever. C’mon folks. Water and down don’t mix.

Water and down are excellent when they don’t meet but buy a synthetic bag for watersports. Honestly, I cannot undestand why this is this still a discussion. It’s only supported by folks who haven’t gotten wet and had to deal with the consequences.

Jon