Small paddler

fit and comfort
If you felt comfortable in and paddling the Avocet LV, use it as your yardstick for other boats.

I would support the suggestions of trying a Vela and a Pilgrim. The Vela is a well respected boat and the Pilgrim is getting very good response.

You will not outgrow any of these three boats…

no surprise
"Given your size, I’m a bit surprised that the TempestPRO165 works for you, as I don’t think it’s particularly considered to be a low volumn kayak for small people. "

No surprise there. I’m almost the same dimension as the OP (maybe even a tad lighter). I found the Tempest 165 pretty snug.

It’s not a low volume boat per se. But it’s a lot lower than the average 16’ers. Narrow and sleak. Most significantly, the cockpit is smaller than the usual, and the front deck is also lower tha most boats. That makes for a nice and tight fit for us little people. :o)

I rolled the thing on the first try!

It tracks a little better than the Avocet (regular).

"…a lot lower than the average 16’ers"
I suppose that depends on what one thinks of as “average 16’ers”

I tend to think of the Tempest 165’s cohort as the Romany, Avocet, Chatham 16, Shoreline, etc… - that is other Brit style day boats. Among those boats the Tempest 165 is not particularly lower volume. It seems higher volume than many such boats.

YMMV
All depending on your intended use and fit, as subjective of a term that is.

Known contenders:

Impex Mystic

Impex Force 3

P&H Cetus LV

North Shore Atlantic LV

Not available yet but probables:

North Shore Atlantic RM LV

North Shore Aspect RM LV

P&H Delphin 150

P&H Aries 150

I think I recall a Current Designs Willow being a petite paddler’s kayak too. No personal experience with it other than remember seeing it on a rack.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

low volume at where?
No, the Tempest isn’t any lower volume than “many” other 16 footers (Romany, Avocet). But it’s lower than many OTHER 16 footers (Chatem, Nighthawk).

That’s just volume. Then there’s the thing about WHERE the volume is.

Take the Avocet. The plastic one has a substantial seat so there’s lots of contact even for a smaller paddler. But the Avocet fiberglass has a … well fibwerglass seat! That left a lot of room in the cockpit and smaller paddlers swim in it! Further more, some model year of Avocet had such a high front deck that my leggy 5’4 thigh can’t find anything to brace with!!!

I’ve owned 3 Avocets, paddled all of the above for minimum of 10 miles. I found the Tempest reasonably snug for someone of my size, which the OP happened to be about the same.

I picked the Avocet for its handling characteristic. Had I got a different agenda, I could have very easily ended up with the Tempest.

I Have a Tempest 165…
and I’ve paddled the Avocet LV. I think the Avocet is much more suited to your size unless you plan to carry a LOT of stuff.

Tempest 165 great all round boat
I think the Tempest 165 is one of the best all round boats out there for average size people (both male and female). I’ve played and paddled in a few T-165s. At 180+ and 6’ I was comfortable in the boat. It seemed higher volume than my Romany et al. It is less of a ‘play boat’ than a Romany, Avocet, or Chatham 16, though it plays well.

Three women I know have T-165s as their only and do-everything sea kayak. An ‘average size’ woman I know felt the T-165 was a bit big as a day boat. Even at my size, I prefer something more responsive in a day boat.

There are a lot of good boats available. There are more models appropriate for women and small paddlers all the time. It is best to go out and play in as many good boats as possible before buying…

small kayak ritual
You may also wish to try the Maelstrom Vital (find info on the Sea Kayak Carolina website) which is a beautifully handling kayak, not as short as the Pilgrim and not as long as the Pilgrim Expedition, at 16’6". That was my choice!

Smaller Paddler options
Hi,

I’m 5’3"… in my mind, the two top choices are the NDK Pilgrim (I’m actually selling mine to make room!) and the Maelstrom Vital 166. I think you would be very pleased with either!

Maelstrom
I demoed the Vital’s bigger sibling, the Vaag. One of the best boats I’ve ever paddled!