Small Paddler's Paddle Choices? (kayak)

Well…
I just checked and the 205 cm was pikabike’s, that said we have the same length paddle (and the same taste in paddles). When we started paddling the usual measurements had me at 210 cm for touring paddles (WW always were shorter). Then we got shown how to paddle properly, with folks like Ben Lawry and the other racers dominant, and both me and my husband ended up chopping 5 or so cm’s off our paddle length. That’s why we know that manufacturers will do that to a certain length - had to have the Epics and a Swift paddle shortened.

I am 5’3.5", I think. I haven’t really wanted to get measured lately since they decided I am no longer 5’4" and I am doing all I can for that anyway. My touring boats are 21.5 to 22 inch wide sea kayaks.

The diff I found between a 205 cm length and the 210 is that I really do have to rotate, with the 210 I can be lazier about that. But when I do rotate correctly, the 205 cm paddle gives me a more effective and less strenuous bite.

Yes
my mistake, it was the name quote in the title.

Going to be a long winter waiting for the ice to melt looking at the new boats.

Solid advice

– Last Updated: Sep-01-11 12:34 PM EST –

Pretty much everything Pat (onno) stated is great advice.
Similar to Pat,I am married to a 5'...well, 5'2"...paddler and have done "extensive" testing.
I also coach sea paddlers, and also have coached junior flatwater racers. Needs vary, and in "variance" to what some say, manufacturers, while honestly caring, are often stuck in tradition vs real science.
I would put more credence in Pat's real world advice than what some paddle manufacturers say, only from their sales figures.
For example, do any paddle manufacturers test paddle length/blade size with real paddlers, but using objective tests such as GPS, heart rate, and distance? The results are amazing, and is the sort of thing real world athletes will do.

The test protocol of using HR/GPS is fairly easy, but an overlooked component is that of personal need. For instance, using the info to reach personal top speed will result in a different paddle than sustained speed over a specific distance.
From a coaches standpoint (and to add to Pat's statement "paddle length should be matched to the person and boat. The blades should not only be matched as above but personal preferences,,, even expectations : ) should be considered as well as factoring in conditions and distances") a critical decision is often based around thing such as "high angle" or "low angle" stroke style. The reality is, for short torso paddlers, too long of a paddle will force a style. In simpler terms, a long paddle is inefficient for a high angle style as the paddle might be ok, but use of such places the paddler in biomechanically poor position. A paddle of proper length for a "high angle" style can also be used low angle, but not the other way around.

Two rather short (a bit over 5'each) paddlers I have coached in forward stroke just completed an expedition- their paddle choice was done by testing such I described. Take a look at one page-
http://voyageofthepilgrims.blogspot.com/2011/06/packing-and-preparing.html

They all use a paddle of medium to medium-large size blades,with paddle lengths varying from 195cm-200cm.
My wife has tried nearly everything, and prefers a small wing for most sea kayaking, except big following seas, when she uses a Werner Cyprus. She had to beg Werner to cut it down to her preferred length of 195cm. Epic had no problem making her a 192-202cm wing.

winter
You might be able to find winter pool classes or rolling sessions in your area. They can be a good way to practice and lot of fun.