SMART car - you can't put it on the roof

From Epic website …
http://www.epicpaddles.com/news/details.aspx?nid=685&id=5477&tImg=8313

somehow I think
that the above picture of the kayak on the roof of the Smart car would be NOT street legal.

Possibly too much overhang? :slight_smile:

Not sure about all states
But the majority of states that I have looked into do not allow loads to extend beyond the front bumper of the vehicle. Every 4 feet behind the rear bumper a load extends, it need a red flag during the day and a red light at night.

I’m 6’3". I have never sat in a car where the seat was tall enough for me. Head rests typically hit me in the nape of my neck. On the plus side, I’ll never suffer from whiplash as I’ll have already broken my neck.

sounds like a misnomer

I would reconsider a purchase

– Last Updated: May-06-08 11:04 AM EST –

There's an interesting article in Car and Driver from a few months ago in which they road tested a SmartForTwo. Apparently the mileage is only very marginally better than the current Honda Fit and the Toyota Yaris. And in the fit you get a longer roofline, and in both you get two more seats and superior japanese engineering and build quality. I would imagine both have better crash test ratings.

I would put my money on the Fit any day.

It was a segment on CNN. The car is
called the CAT for Compressed Air Technology. It was invented by an Itlian and licneced to TATA Motors of India. It’s a recipociting engine, has an aluminum frame with a fiberglass body. Two 4300 psi carbon fiber tanks. Takes 3 hrs to charge at home for a cost of $2.50. Should be interesting to follow this one.

I am not committed just on the list
One of the guys who works here really likes his SMART.

A lot can change in a year and maybe I will find I can afford a Honda or a Toyota.

Knowing me I will keep reading everything anyone writes about vehicles I might want and keep researching right up until I have to make a decision. Right now I just want to drive my Van and save up money so I can plop down a big downpayment.

I’ve read about the SMART crash test ratings and I think they look more dangerous than they actually are.

One thing I’ve read is that the Mitsubishi Engine in the SMART is not up to Mitsubishi’s normal great standards. If I buy this car, I will expect it to be a car that I won’t keep more than four years. Unlike my Dodge Van which I’ve had five plus and plan to have until it becomes hopeless while knowing that in two years it may need a new transmission. It’s paid for and this week I managed to get 18+ MPG around and about.

Don’t hold your breath
If you think the Smart car is small, the “CAT” is near microscopic! Nor is it designed for highway speeds. It seems highly unlikely to pass the US safety standards.

http://www.mdi.lu/eng/affiche_eng.php?page=moteurs

I second the Honda FIT
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/552466477mmzRBH?vhost=good-times

Another one coming to America in a
family size gets 1,000 miles per charge.

Too small for safey
Lots of smart cars in Toronto - when we visit there driving our van we look way down the them -I wouldnt be caught in one of them on a road these days. All the big SUVS, vans, trucks etc. would squash that little guy and maybe not even notice !!! They are so small and would only be safe if everyone else drove them too ! (I thought they were mercedes ?)

mostly Mercedes but not the engine
There are big cars everywhere but times will change and change again. I may find I can afford more car$ by the time my number comes up.

I have a very short to work commute through neighbor hood streets. A hybrid would be my next choice.

My step mother talked with someone who had been hit in the SMART by a big car and somehow a Semi was also involved. The SMART car occupants were not hurt.

So for the next year I will put money aside and watch and wait - while driving my Dodge which seems to get 26 MPG on the highway with or without a kayak on the roof.

something I don’t get
How is buying a new car every four years environmentally conscious, regardless of what kind of car it is? I don’t mean to pick on you, but this seems to be something many people overlook when shopping for vehicles with the environment in mind.

Don’t hold your breath
Making comments like that without any references is a waste of people’s time.

Don’t hold your breath for this one either.

Screwed anyway

We’re scewed any way you look at it.

You might as well drive a new car to the apocalypse!

Where’s your Profile NJKayaker?

I have been driving the van for 5 plus
and I plan to keep driving it until it needs to be euthanized or donated.

Since I’m divorced and on my own, I will want a car to drive while the Van is in the shop. This is why I am looking for something reasonable and fuel efficient and not going for the higher price range vehicle.

I was raised to think that one drove a car for a hundred thousand miles or ten years whichever cae in second. On the other hand I need something else to fall back on as the Van will certainly need a transmission sooner than later.

Then when the Van is ten or eleven and the perhaps new SMART car is four or five, my mortgage payments will be half what they are now. I can then donate the van and trade in the SMART and get something special in 2012.

Ideally based on what I know to be true today, in my life and what is available out there. Things can change.

All right
Smart MSRPs for 12235, 33/40mpg with PREMIUM

Toyota Yaris sells for 11800, 29/36mpg with REGULAR ( manual transmission)

Smart is Mercedes quality (not necessarily a good thing)

Toyota Yaris is a Toyota

Both can tow a trailer, Yaris could potentially carry your kayak on top

With todays prices (averages http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/ 05/07/2008) , 3.618 for regular, 3.981 premium

it costs the following to travel 100 miles:

Smart city 12.06, Smart road 9.95

Yaris city 12.48, Yaris road 10.05

and
A buddy of mine has a 10-year-old 4 cyl. toyota pickup with over 300k on the clock.

I need to start saving
http://www.fantasycars.com/Ferrari_F50/ferrari_f50.html