SmartTrack Rudder System ?

Been curious about these things,
are they designed to have some friction at the pivot so they tend to stay put until you nudge them? Or are they meant to move freely and therefore allow the rudder to perhaps wag (go with the flow) a bit unless the bar is being actively restrained by your feet.

Mike

Works fine
I have changed the rudder on a Nelo Razor which was delivered with a useless Kajaksport Navigator rudder. I changed to a Seal Line rudder but kept the tiller system. It works great as the Seal Line rudder is balanced. Wider rudders can put pressure on the tiller in strong side wind, but not in this case.

yes
yes the rudder maintains where you last put it unless acted upon by huge wave. Sad that icf boats got so tippy that very few paddled them. West side boats are more stable and bushnell can give you half hour talk on tiller. Smart track rudders can jam without a bungee to hold the pedals back.

Ok, thanks, that’s what
I wanted to know. Seems like the obvious hot setup for straight-ahead knees-together workout paddling but I wonder how convenient that operation is when you are sitting in more of a duck-footed knees-under thighbraces sort of position.

Mike

I just acquired a QCC 700XL and it is my 1st experience with the Smart Track rudder and control system. I was thinking it was just me. Everyone I know absolutely LOVES their Smart Track, and I’m finding I absolutely HATE it. My Necky Arluk 1.9 has the sliding footpegs and i must have them set perfectly, because i dont experience a whole lot of sliding when I’m digging in or need to turn. I just barely tip my foot forward and it turns. I experience the same thing you have, cramping toes and legs (and sometimes hip), while trying to turn with the Smart Track. I wasnt sure if it just works hard (jury is still out on that) but im glad to know it’s not just me. I’m trying to give it a good chance and myself more time with it to learn it more, but im debating how much effort I will give it before I change out the rudder or get rid of the boat.

Put the system on my Pungo 140 and am very happy I did. No more fighting the wind…4 strokes left to one right…I did find that I had to lubricate the cables once in a while, kind of like a bike …