smoothing thick ugly skids

Not much of a depression
The old skid pate was not very thick, which is why it wore through. I think I can just feather out the edge of the old skid plate and apply the glass. Two sheets, the second a little larger than the first? They won’t be very big - 3" x 1" - will it stay on?

Thanks Pete.

Two layers
Sand the surface of the old plate well to remove any dirt, etc, and clean it well. If there is a significant step off at the edge of the plate, try to feather it with sanding, a Dremel tool, or epoxy fillets so the cloth will lay down smooth. If you are using epoxy I think it will bond to most resins and adhesives used for Kevlar skid plates, At least, I have never had an issue.

If you want to use 2 layers of cloth it is probably best to apply both layers the same day, or at least within 24 hours, so as to get a good chemical bond between the layers. The cloth will lay down better along the curvature of the stem and will fray less if you cut it on a bias to the warp and woof of the cloth. It is probably best to apply the larger piece first, then the smaller. That will allow you to feather the edge of the smaller plate without cutting through fibers of the larger one. Use of peel ply will minimize the amount of sanding required to smooth and feather the plate.