Snakes

There are way too many myths and
over-exaggerated accounts of encounters with water moccasins/cottonmouths. I have been around them for almost 50 years and have never seen evidence to validate all the hype. The vast majority of “water moccasins” that are encounterd are not even moccasins. Generally, they are banded water snakes or rat snakes. Since all of these snakes go through various coloration schemes as they mature, they can be easily confused. Someone else already posted a good identifier: mocs will tend to keep their heads up (about a 45 degree angle) whether they are in the water or on land. More: mocs will tend to keep more of their body on top of the water when they swim; mocs tend to be fat and sausage-like in body; the inside of a mocs mouth CAN be pure white (if you are seeng this, you have erred); mocs will rarely be found up in branches. The ultimate way to distinguish is that common water snakes or rat snakes have round pupils while mocs have eliptical pupils. Most people do not wish to get close enough to see the eyes and just default to a moc.

I truly believe that, left alone and not made to feel threatened, mocs are not overly dangerous. About the same threat level as wasps and hornets. They will go into display and defense if they are made to feet threatened. They are more prone to stike when encountered on land since escape is harder. Be careful when getting out of the boat or stepping over logs to portage. I am not aware of any reason why they would have a desire to approach a boat. Obviously, many will argue this point and provide “experiences” to the contrary. I think the best defense is knowledge and awareness. Slow down and pay attention. If all fails and you get nailed by one, unless you are a small child or are in really poor health, the bite is rarely life threatening. A lot of times, they do not even inject venom (you are not a food source and it takes the snake time to produce more venom that it will need to get food) and the biggest concern is the infection threat. Ain’t nature great?

I’ve had them chase me…
…on land. without provocation. In the spring

time especially they are feisty.

And you’re right aobut their shape. it’s a good

at a distance identifier. the other water snakes

tend to be slimmer, less stocky.

I have had them follow my boats, but mostly I think

my eddy was supplying an easy route to follow.

On Lake Travis, one doesn’t have to
worry about snakes in branches or aquatic vegetation, there isn’t much. Pretty rocy environment, that’s probably why one never sees cottonmouths there. Lake Austin may be a differnt story, but the ski boats and jet skis will eat you alive there.

Larger adults save venom, smaller
juveniles are more likely to give you a full load and, therefore, are more dangerous. But, even if a snake doesn’t inject venom, they often carry all sorts of bacteria in their mouths and can give quite an infection. With any snake bite, its best to go to the ER and, if you can, take along the culprit that bit you. These days, with camera phones and digitals in everyone’s dry bags, a picture will suffice. As for cottonmouths being in tree branches, they don’t tend to climb, but will get into low lying branches close to the water and in the branchs of bushes in the water.

Water moccasins

– Last Updated: Jun-15-06 10:55 AM EST –

Have been paddling rivers for over 40 years.
Have yet to see a water moccasin, laying on a tree limb, out over the water. Have seen 100s of Banded Water snakes there. Have typically found Water Moccasins in swampy, marshy areas, shallow creek beds, laying on river banks, or on top of logs in the water.

Have never found them to be particularly aggressive unless you disturb them, aggravate them, or invade their space. Have never had one attempt to come into my boat, but have had 2 different encounters where they did swim towards my boat. Both times it was "my" problem, not the snake's aggressive behavior. On one occasion, when still young & stupid, I took a shot at one with a .22 pistol. Missed, splashed it with water. It came out to "investigate". On the other occasion, my paddling partner & I got too close when a pair of them were mating, attempting to get a photo. One of them was most definitely not happy to be disturbed. On both occasions, just paddling 2 boat lengths away from them ended the encounter.

When I was present & checked it out, it has been my experience that 99 of 100 snakes someone has identified as a Water Moccasin, was is in fact a Banded Water Snake. To the uninitiated & uninformed, virtually every snake seen on the river is a Water Moccasin.

If you are bitten by a Water Moccasin; you should immediately seek medical attention.
While it may not kill a normal, healthy adult, the bite is a possible source of infection, and the possibility exists that there will be tissue loss/nerve damage in the area of the bite that is not treated. There will typically be swelling, pain, and discoloration in the bite area. It is most certainly possible to die as a result of an untreated Water Moccasin bite.

BOB

I’ve seen them in low branches…
…over water in swamps. I’ve also seen the balled up in a wad on dead tree branches over swamps in

Al, Ms, La, NC.

and, yes, they were cottonmouths.

Just saw my first water snake
Not sure what breed or class snake it was, but it was darting around the put-in at my local lake. It didn’t look very interested in getting too close to my canoe, but sure was excited about something…

Probably excited about…
…getting into the rocks and out of your way!

Yes, virginia, cottonmouths do get on
low lying branches…from the Nat’l Zoo:

Distribution and Habitat

Cottonmouths reside mainly in the southeastern United States. This includes very southern Virginia to Florida and east to eastern Texas. There are three subspecies: the eastern, Florida, and western cottonmouths.

Cottonmouths are semi-aquatic and can be found near water and fields. They inhabit brackish waters and are commonly found in swamps, streams, marshes, and drainage ditches in the southern lowlands of the United States. They also live at the edges of lakes, ponds, and slow-moving streams and waters. They sun themselves on the branches, logs, and stones at the edge of the water.

For more reliable information, heres the web page:

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/ReptilesAmphibians/Facts/FactSheets/Cottonmouth.cfm

Basically, if you live North of Virginia and west of I-35 from Oklahoma thru Texas you probably have nothing to worry about from venomness water snakes.

But, then, there are those rattlesnakes.

Lord Knows…
how many harmless snakes have been killed because someone thought they were a ‘cottonmouth’.

Eat them
Never had a problem my self with gators or snakes.

I have herd they get aggressiv ethis time of year but so do the gators.

Ps: any good recipes for Cottonmouth out there.

Brian

SoFlo

I fish with my Boat…

Kayaking in rivers and creeks in the summers…

I have bumped over several Alligator Gar…they make a big thump when they realize you’re on top of them…

seen alot of snakes…some in trees branches and brush…so I don’t like to paddle real close to

low hanging tree branches… also snapping and other turtles… that’s why the call it a paddle!

We came around a bend in the river and surprised

several Pelicans, one unable to gain altitude with a bill full of fish…dumped his load of fish from about 30 feet in the air…and only 30 feet away…

now how would we have explained how the fish got

in the boat if the Pelican had been a little closer…

Cottonmouths taste…
…horrible.

Nasty.

foul.

Like a cross between rancid mud and truck tires.

Rattlesnakes and copperheads, however, are pretty

good. Sauteed with ground sasafrass leaves.

Little wild garlic.

In the Trinity and Rio Grande rivers of
Texas, those alligator gar get over 200 lbs. Awfully big logs.

I just saw 3 this evening…
Does anyone work where I work? If so, don’t read this…I left work today and put my boat in Cedar Creek (Congaree Natl Park) where I saw 3 snakes (got pics for proof) only one was a cottonmouth. A very small one, on some very small branches of a downed tree, out in the middle of the creek. One, I am not sure what it was, it was green on top and almost “rosy” underneath. The other was a beautiful banded water snake. Additionally, the creek is flooded (Alberto) and the Alligator Gar were top feeding like crazy, never seen anything like it. I love my kayak, I mean working all day.

I agree, I handle snakes during
church services… wait, I meant to say during State Park canoe trips almost every Sunday during the summer. I know for a fact, that there are no venomous water snakes in my area. The vast majority of them are Brown Water snakes, Banded Northers, and Red Bellied water snakes with the (very) rare Queen Snake thrown in. Usually before I have a chance to go catch it to give my "snake talk’ one of the men who is trying to be Mr. Macho announces to the group that the snake in question is a water moccasin or a cottonmouth. Rather than argue with him I generally paddle over to them and catch them, normally getting bitten if they are really in a bad mood.

Its funny to watch their faces when they realize that they are wrong.

A little OT…
…but I found a rattlesnake under my surf ski last weekend. Had just landed at Washoe Lake and went up to the car to dry off. Came back to load the boat, and said snake was shading him/herself under my boat. Gotta watch out where you reach!

Kyle

Are you sure they were alligator gar.
Unfortunately, the alligator gar is in a decline and one doesn’t often see the bigger ones, especially top water feeding. Mostly, the ones seen rolling on the top of the water are longnose gar. There are several species of gar, longnose, shortnose, spotted, and alligator are the ones common to the US. The alligator gar is distinguished from the rest by its blunt head that looks much like that of its namesake, the alligator. Longnose gar have a sharp, long toothy snout and are most common in Southern waters. BTW, I noticed that Tennessee’s wildlife department’s website doesn’t list the alligator gar as being one of the fish in the state, though there are sure to be some in the Congaree. Been there once, but didn’t paddle.

it is possible they are not Alligator
as easy as it is to mis-identify a snake out of the water…and since I see gar a lot, probably another variety.

what is this?
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a170/paddlinclay/062006018.jpg