So what do you wear under your drysuit?

Whatever you use
It’s my experience that one is better off, especially on longer durations, to be a bit on the cool side than too hot. Too hot, and there’s too much perspiration which can drain electrolytes and require more fluid intake. It will also leave more moisture trapped inside, even with wicking and breathable fabrics, which can be uncomfortable and, in more extreme conditions, possibly even freeze on breaks in paddling.

What to wear

– Last Updated: Jan-18-12 3:33 PM EST –

I depends on what I'm going to be doing. If it's going out rolling, then I wear a lot more than just paddling on calm water. The best test is to put a bunch of stuff on and then go float around for awhile. On long trips, I like to wear two layers on top and one layer on my legs. I usually wear synthetic base layers but they get ripe after a week, but you don't have to smell them because they're in the suit. I always wash up before throwing on my camping clothing. I usually carry a warm fleece to add as a third layer if needed.

Here's my list of what I wear for each temp: http://www.paddlinglight.com/articles/wetsuit-vs-drysuit-for-paddling/

good info!

Thanks, Bryan
Great info there.

Makes sense unless you are trying
to protect against hypothermia in the event of immersion.

I could have elaborated
I’m going under the assumption (yes, always dangerous) that people are paddling safely - that is, in a group, with knowledge and skills to do rescues. In that scenario, the swimmer should only be in the water for a couple of minutes. For someone doing a solo paddle in challenging conditions, well, they have a number of crucial decisions to make.

One of the nice things
about wool is that you don’t get that awful rank odor on a long trip. I’m gradually coming over (or back) to wool as the fabric of choice.